0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
clever_trevor
Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: WiFi on the underground

Go to solution

I thought WI-FI on underground was excusive to Virgin & Three right now - 

Although, I heard plans to rollout mobile coverage happening in due course..... 

Recognised Expert Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

hi @emilko79

As @clever_trevor as said, this is currently for the use of Three & Virgin Customers. EE are offering it to their customers as a part of their pay monthly plan. This is not currently offered to BT Mobile Customers.

jasonp
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Are there any plans to extend London Underground Wifi to BT Mobile customers.

Considering EE, O2, Vodafone and Three all offer this I feel it's a significant disadvantage of BT customers. Also, as BT own EE surely it should be easily transferable perk to enable!

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

@jasonpwrote:

Are there any plans to extend London Underground Wifi to BT Mobile customers.

Considering EE, O2, Vodafone and Three all offer this I feel it's a significant disadvantage of BT customers. Also, as BT own EE surely it should be easily transferable perk to enable!

BTs Consumer Division has three subsidaries targetting different market segments; EE, BT and Plusnet. EE is the premium mobile brand which runs the mobile network; you generally pay more than for an account with the BT and Plusnet MVNOs which use the EE network, and that does entitle you to more bells and whistles like inclusive WiFi on the underground.

Conversely you can get cheaper deals for more basic mobile contracts on BT & Plusnet, but you don't get the bells and whistles.

So you pays your money and takes your choice. If you really need WiFi coverage on the underground then take out an EE contract, or pay for a seperate account for it with Virgin.

I use the underground and have two mobiles - Work is on EE and Personal is on BT. The Virgin wifi accessible on the work account isn't compelling enough to make me want it on my personal phone. The reasons? Well it only works on stations, and you only actually need to use it at stations that are, well, underground.

So either you are passing through a station on the train, have to wait for a reconnect or worse manually refresh to reconnect, by which time your trains doors are closing and you are pulling away and can perhaps grab one web page impression or an email refresh.

Or else you are entering a central London station to catch a train and you are actively walking / descending stairs or escalators so can't use your phone, or have to wait maybe a minute at most on a platform where you are jostling for platform space. So you aren't using your phone.

Conclusion - it really isn't worth paying for it. I really don't miss it on my personal phone.

Now if they do finally get around to putting coverage into the tunnels that may change things, but I am not losing any sleep about not getting the station-only coverage on my BT account.