cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

WiFi or 4G Calling?

Yesterday I got myself a new phone, a Samsung A41, from the BT Shop, (because BT Mobile said that they could only give it to me on a monthly contract and not sell it outright - though they assured me that it would be the same device, with the same firmware etc and confirmed that it would work for WiFi Calling)). The phone updated itself to the latest version and is running Android 10.

The phone is connected to my home WiFi, (3 original Whole Home WiFi discs), and I have followed the instructions to turn on WiFi calling via the Phone Dialler app's settings. I also rebooted the phone at the same time.

I can make and receive calls fine, but when I look at the notifications panel at the top of the screen, it says what looks like Vo)) LTE1 . I think that I noticed briefly that changing to a WiFi symbol with a phone in the bottom corner, but mostly the symbol is the LTE one. Does this mean that I am actually connecting via 4G calling rather than WiFi calling?

I don't recall setting up 4G calling at all - is it automatic when setting up WiFi calling?

I have also tried putting the phone into "Flight Mode" and restoring that, also tried turning on Flight Mode and rebooting the phone with it on, then restoring it to normal as I have seen these suggested in other posts.

I get a low to middling variable signal from the two masts that cover my area, and both have had long term service issues recently, (both lasting over 3 months), so I really would like to sort out WiFi Calling as the default, (if it isn't already!).

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: WiFi or 4G Calling?

The easiest way to answer that question is to go into the Mobile Network settings and disable VoLTE, you can then check if Wi-Fi calling is working and choose which one you want to go with

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

@Les-Gibson 

Thanks for that  - I think that it is right now. It was set to "Use LTE data networks for calls whenever possible" ON, so I have turned that OFF. Does that also mean that when I am out of range of WiFi, calls will now not use 4G? The "Network Mode" setting is: "LTE/3G/2G (auto connect)".

I am now seeing the notifications bar icon that I was expecting: a phone with WiFi waves. I have also noticed that each test call has a brief warble at the very beginning - before ringing tone - does that also indicate WiFi calling, or is that something else?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

If you turn wi-fi off on your phone to simulate being out of range and leave VoLTE off then I would expect your calls to be routed via the 3G network. This is not unusual and, speaking for myself, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

See here for a basic understanding of VoLTE https://www.4g.co.uk/what-is-volte/

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@Les-Gibson 

Thanks.

I don't think that I will miss the advantages of 4G calling either - especially being able to web browse at 4G speeds whilst on a call!

My first experiences of mobile data are from the late 1990's: sitting in hotel rooms in Italy with my laptop connected by infrared to an Ericsson SH888 GSM phone, logging on to work servers in London at 9600 bits per second max!

Message 6 of 6

@Paul608085wrote:

@Les-Gibson 

Thanks.

I don't think that I will miss the advantages of 4G calling either - especially being able to web browse at 4G speeds whilst on a call!

My first experiences of mobile data are from the late 1990's: sitting in hotel rooms in Italy with my laptop connected by infrared to an Ericsson SH888 GSM phone, logging on to work servers in London at 9600 bits per second max!

They must have been very long & painful nights  😃

0 Ratings