cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Wifi Calling now working on BT mobile!

Hi, i've just changed my mobile to a OnePlus 3 running firmware 3.5.4, and in my house where the BT mobile signal is near useless earlier today the mobile was showing 4/5 bars! (85dBm) i've looked at the network type with an App called LTE Discovery and it shows the data network type as "IWLAN" I googled this name and it is another name for wifi calling!

The call quality seems very good and when I walk outside where the signal improves "IWLAN" changes to "GSM"  with no problems and no interruption to the call.

Has anyone else got the Wifi calling working?

Sleepymonster.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Wifi Calling now working on BT mobile!

@sleepymonster wrote:

Hi, i've just changed my mobile to a OnePlus 3 running firmware 3.5.4, and in my house where the BT mobile signal is near useless earlier today the mobile was showing 4/5 bars! (85dBm) i've looked at the network type with an App called LTE Discovery and it shows the data network type as "IWLAN" I googled this name and it is another name for wifi calling!

The call quality seems very good and when I walk outside where the signal improves "IWLAN" changes to "GSM"  with no problems and no interruption to the call.

Has anyone else got the Wifi calling working?

Sleepymonster.

Do you mean that you have changed your mobile provider to O2?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

No I'm still on Bt mobile (my post makes no reference to O2, O2 have only just started selling the OnePlus 3 on contract. The OnePlus 3 has been on sale direct from OnePlus since June on their website)

I have made some more wifi calls today and the quality of the call is excellent!

Sleepymonster.

Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 8

@sleepymonster wrote:

No I'm still on Bt mobile (my post makes no reference to O2, O2 have only just started selling the OnePlus 3 on contract. The OnePlus 3 has been on sale direct from OnePlus since June on their website)

I have made some more wifi calls today and the quality of the call is excellent!

Sleepymonster.

Strange.

I have Galaxy S5. There's no chance of wifi calling here, other than BT's own Smart Talk.

Perhaps it's being phased in.

Fortunately there's little need here as signal is good, generally, although sometimes the 3g/4g signal disappears for a few hours (e.g. Today Smiley Frustrated). 

Will watch for more posts with interest.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

If you indeed have WiFi calling enabled on your BT mobile, I find it strange that BT have not advertised this on their website. This would be a great selling point! I personally get not signal at home and no WiFi calling option.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

Sounds like the same scenario as tethering, where some Android handsets had it enabled even when it was officially prohibited, but it took a SIM update to enable it on iOS.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

Turn on flight mode, turn on wifi and see if you can make a call.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

I have tried the same on my Galaxy S7 Edge and although I have WiFi calling enabled it doesn't appear to be usable. Trying to make a call with flight mode on and WiFi manually enabled gives a message that calls cannot be made in flight mode.

I also checked with an app called Network Cell Info. Like the app you used, it shows the network as IWLAN but there is also a section in it where WiFi calling is specifically listed and not available. When flight mode is on and WiFi also on, the app is showing no service, again suggesting flight mode is not working (at least for me)

0 Ratings