Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 551 of 1,129

Re: Wifi Calling

Go to solution

@benfish

I agree! I would suggest that until the services launches fully, that nobody really changes firmware but that my personal opionion. 

0 Ratings
ElwynW
Beginner
Message 552 of 1,129

Go to solution

Where I live I get no Signal inside my house at WR11 7## area. I have read an earlier post suggesting limiting the phone/sim to 3G, I must say this has improved the signal slightly I can now stand by the window & get 1 bar of signal. Whereas I had nothing within 50mtrs of the house on 4G.

I have been with O2 for many years I have been using the O2 TUGO App for my incoming & outgoing calls with little trouble however O2 have now stopped supporting this app on my unlocked Nokia 735, It is a fairly recent expensive (to me) phone & is reliable & does what I want it to do, (apart from a reducing number of compatible Apps) so therefore I am reluctant to change it at the moment.

I am trying to get mobile phone voice & messaging (Incoming & Outgoing) connectivity inside my home.

I have BT Infinity Wi-Fi at home.

I have recently moved over to a pay monthly sim only account with BT.

I am aware BT should have launched the BT Wi-Fi calling today (28th March 2018).

I currently have an unlocked Nokia 735 Smart Phone running on Windows 10.

I am also aware that it is unlikely that BT Wi-Fi calling will be supported on windows phone but the person at the call centre was not 100% sure.

I am living close to an area that will be part of the 5G national trials roll out.

Now for my questions

(Please only answer if you definitively know the answer/s, it will save time for both you and me, Thanks). Please keep any answers aimed at simple people, no abbreviations you may as well be talking in mandarin.

Will BT Wi-Fi calling will be supported on windows phones?

Assuming the answer is negative, this then raises further issues.

I am not a Apple or Blackberry fan by any stretch of the imagination, this only leaves Android phones in suitable replacement contention.

I do not want a contract phone I prefer the flexibility & cost control of having my own phone. BT’s list of phones is quite frankly fairly pants. (We use Samsung J3s at work not totally a fan of these either, they have too many limitations).

So that being the case, Will unlocked phones purchased elsewhere using my BT sim be able to use the BT Wi-Fi calling facility?

Assuming they will, but will be restricted to models etc, how can I find a list of BT Wi-Fi calling compatible phones?

Not knowing a great deal about mobile phones, I am aware that there is more than one Android operating system in the mobile market, any suggestions on which is better or more likely to be compatible?

Lastly any ideas on what phones would be future proofed to 5G use?

I would appreciate your definitive expert answers please - thanks

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 553 of 1,129

Go to solution

@ElwynW

If you only want definitive, unfortunalty nobody here can help. I can give some guidance on some of those questions..

Windows Phones - Not at the moment

5G - BT Mobile is an MVNO, it is unlikley to happen any time soon

As for the other questions, 

Date of launch - Not confirmed! Its still officially in trial but sim migration has started. The offical lauch will be posted at the top of the forums.

All BT supplied handsets will be able to use the service if the handset supports it.

Sim Free / Unlocked Handsets  - will vary on firmware on each device, as it may have a network specific flashed software. So may or may not work, this may sound vague but without knowing the handset or variant of firmware its hard to say what will work. Currently Handsets with EVR firmware seem to work.

All networks offering VoLTE and wifi calling have a limited amount of supported handsets, normally the most common handsets

The rest of your questions can not be answered just at the moment until the service launches!

0 Ratings
ElwynW
Beginner
Message 554 of 1,129

Go to solution

I am being thick now what is MVNO?

and what is voLTE?

0 Ratings
BT Expert
Message 555 of 1,129

Go to solution

@ElwynW

MVNO = Mobile Virtual Network Operator. Basically a Mobile Network Provider that runs off another Mobile Network Operator such as EE who runs and maintans the physical equipment.

voLTE = Voice over LTE (LTE is a communication standard), basically allowing you to make calls over the 4G network rather than needing to drop back down to 3G or below

BT ExpertJamesC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, on technical queries, where I can. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 556 of 1,129

Go to solution

@ElwynW

MVNO - Mobile Virtual Network Operator, (BT uses the EE to host its network)

Wifi Calling - Allows calls over wifi when you have no or weak signal

VoLTE or 4G calling as BT & EE are calling it, is a way of sending voice over data allowing better sounding calls and allowing you to stay connected to the 4G network

And James C types faster than me 😉

ElwynW
Beginner
Message 557 of 1,129

Go to solution

Thanks Guys,

Interestingly enough I asked the same original questions from the Help Chat Room, Slight variation in answers which confuses me further!

*Edited by Mod*

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 558 of 1,129

Go to solution

@ElwynW

I can not comment for the agent you spoke to, but the terms for use of the new Wi-Fi and 4G calling have yet to be posted. Until then, the only thing that can be confirmed is that those handsets supplied by BT that are capable of the service will work. Others will work but a compatible handset list has not been published yet.

0 Ratings
ElwynW
Beginner
Message 559 of 1,129

Go to solution
Thanks Dean007
0 Ratings
rbz5416
Contributor
Message 560 of 1,129

Go to solution

@ElwynW

As the service is actually running on EE then it's highly likely that the same list of SIM free handsets published by them for wifi calling will also work on BT. But only  time will tell.

EE WiFi Calling

EE also have device called SIgnal Box which plugs into your router & provides 3G service via your ISP. I have the Vodafone equivalent. From my reading it appears that BT also have these boxes so it may be worth enquiring about getting one of those. But from my experience I'd advise against using chat.

0 Ratings