Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rob_s
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1131 of 1,144

Re: Wifi Calling

Go to solution

My son recently purchased an unlocked Samsung a20e from Argos. It works with both 4g calling and WiFi calling with bt.

I have a Huawei mate 20 lite also unlocked and from Argos ( had it before Google issues) and this works well with WiFi calling and 4g calling. Hope this helps.

Dungiven
Contributor
Message 1132 of 1,144

Go to solution

Thank you Rob_s. Just to be 100% the 2  sim free phones you mentioned required no firmware updates etc but are working out of the box with BT mobile wi-fi and 4G  calling? Thanks for the info.Not a great fan of Samsung so will check out prices for the Huawei you mentioned.

0 Ratings
Rob_s
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1133 of 1,144

Go to solution

Both the Samsung and the Huawei worked straight out of the box, no tweaking required. I would recommend the mate 20 lite, very good phone for the money. I think you can pick it up for around £200 from Argos and other places.

0 Ratings
Dungiven
Contributor
Message 1134 of 1,144

Go to solution

Thank you again for the confirmation. May have to ebay my Sony XZ2 and find a deal for the Huawei.

0 Ratings
PahuljicaZ
Beginner
Message 1135 of 1,144

Go to solution

Hi all,

I unlocked both 4G calling and wifi calling on both of our phones but it doesn't seem to work. Guys on the chat support said I should put the phone in airplane mode, shutdown, take out the SIM and put it back and reboot but that made zero effect. I can see VoLTE sign on mobile data but the line is breaking in my house with poor reception and the app is saying devices not compatible, any ideas what to do?

Phones are: Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro and Pocophone F1, both global version firmware.

0 Ratings
Andy005
Expert
Message 1136 of 1,144

Go to solution

Hi @PahuljicaZ 

Although this discussion is very long it may be worth reading through it because there are discussions about firmware, what works etc. Try looking around Page 60 onwards, changing your firmware could be an option but there are risks. Alternatively, if you have no mobile reception at home, you could call BT and ask about Signal Assist. This connects to your Hub and creates a 3G signal up to 15m.

0 Ratings
Roopsie
Message 1137 of 1,144

Go to solution

Appreciate this is quite an old and lengthy forum topic, but if it helps: I used to be with BT a very long time ago (pre their introductionof wifi calling function). I have just signed up for a monthly plan. 

I have a Samsung S7 edge and as soon as I inserted the BT sim and switched on my handset, I could see the VoLTE sign. Then I tested wifi calling and this worked too.

I did NOT get an sms to update my settings from my previous network as yet so not sure if wifi calling will disappear if I do get these new/BT settings but thought I would mention here for anyone interested as I had been searching for confirmation everywhere before biting the bullet and signing up to BT.

To clarify, my S7 was bought unlocked/sim free from Carphone Warehouse around 4yrs ago.

0 Ratings
m2018gc1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1138 of 1,144

Go to solution

My wife has a Moto G8 dual sim ,bought unlocked from Amazon and it works with WiFi calling on on the BT mobile network. It also has VoLTE on the BT mobile network.

I have BT mobile sim in a Moto G6 unlocked dual sim. The Moto G6 had no wifi  calling or VoLTE. In the home I have to depend on the BT signal assist.

My son has a Moto G7 play from Argos that came with  PAYG EE sim and with his BTmobile SIM the G7 allows WiFi calling and VoLTE.

0 Ratings
scootwilson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1139 of 1,144

Go to solution
This worked for me on my Samsung S10 after days of trying BT mobile Chat and helplines. Get with it BT. All you need to do is push out the correct APN settings to people! Having said that, the same hasn't worked on my wife's Samsung A20e
0 Ratings
scootwilson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1140 of 1,144

Go to solution

SOLUTION (I think!): If you have a phone which has the Wifi Calling feature but you cannot get it to work by toggling on the function in 'call settings' or 'connections' then it's probably because you've got a phone not provided by BT mobile that you brought from another supplier, other than EE. 

What you have to do to make it work (as some have said already), is flash the phone using the ODIN procedure on Samsung, getting the flash software from a site like Sammobile (sorry don't know what it is for other makes). Go through that procedure which is simple (for anyone who knows how to unzip and extract files and operate basic software), and normally explained on the firmware site you use in easy 1-2-3 language. Flash it to the EE UK (EVR) version, about a 10 minute procedure. It must be the EE version as that's where the APN settings are which are crucial for the second half of the procedure...don't be tempted by the vanilla BTU version as it won't work.

So that gets you 95% there...what you have to do then, once the phone is rebooted and displaying your favourite cat wallpaper again, is go to 'Connections/Access Point Names and then click the 3 dot menu and select 'Reset to Default'. 

Then you should finally see the 'wifi calling' symbol appear on both your top menu and on the little 'green call' function in your dialler. 

Hope this works for you. It has for me on two Samsungs now. 

It seems that as the 'mother' network, you need to have the EE firmware and EE APN settings on your phone for wifi calling to work....the APN settings which BTmobile sends out when you first set up your phone don't work....so you have to convince that phone that it's an EE one not a BT one! Simps!

To be fair to BT Mobile, they aren't able to give this to you as a procedure over the phone, as imagine the liability if your phone bricked (unlikely but possible), but it's a shame and I'm sure they could probably just ping you the right APN settings or at least explain to people why have a phone which, while unlocked, may have another company's firmware, won't work. Frustrating for such a popular feature, which is the cause of many people upgrading phones, to be shrouded in such ignorance and mystery by BT.

0 Ratings