Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pleen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 191 of 1,144

Re: Wifi Calling

Go to solution
Spoke to the Customer Services team the other day, and for the first time the advisor knew of Wi-fi calling. He said they are receiving training in a few weeks, with a view to going live at the end of March.

Fingers crossed.
0 Ratings
ChrisJohn
Contributor
Message 192 of 1,144

Go to solution

I decided to leave BT Mobile and move to their sister company EE as I have got fed up with waiting for Wi-Fi calling to arrive with BT itself.

When I asked for my PAC code to port my number to EE the customer advisor checked and also told me that it was due to start in March.

I moved anyway as my phone is one of those listed by EE as compatible for Wifi calling.  

Up and running with Wifi enabled yesterday.  Magic,  I can at last use my mobile at home.

One thing that has intrigued me though. My phone hardly ever showed a signal bar at home and at most, one bar.  I always assumed that the BT signal would be the same as EE.  With my EE SIM I got 2 bars immediately! Is the BT signal restricted in some way compared to EE?  This is undoubtedly the wrong place to ask that question but it has got me wondering.   

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 193 of 1,144

Go to solution

I do not want to sound too rude to the call centre agents but half of the time they use scripts and or guess work.

The Wifi calling trial is still underway I believe, so it could be sooner or later than the date they have mentioned, until its announced I wouldnt take much notice.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 194 of 1,144

Go to solution

@ChrisJohn You can ask what ever you want here....

There are many reason why your signal maybe different. If you connect via a shared mast, then BT will have to in theory rent slots which may mean you get a better recpetion or not. You may not even connect to your nearest mast if your nearest mast it is at capacity.

I think this is how most MVNOs work

0 Ratings
chrissheppy69
Contributor
Message 195 of 1,144

Go to solution

Excellent! My contract ends in April so if the lies they have peddled me and you lot for the past year, yes they told me a year ago it was coming, does not come true I'm off also !!! Lying deceitful company !!!!

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 196 of 1,144

Go to solution
4G and Wi-fi calling is definitely on its way, and it’s currently being tested by its trials team I’m told. As to what handsets and release dates I doubt that the agents would know until towards the end of the trial.

Bringing Wi-fi calling to BT is a little more complex than a flick of the switch. Handset firmware needs to be updated, network systems and sim profiles need updating then tested on every handset.

But as someone who either gets one bar or no signal indoors at home I get the importance of the service
0 Ratings
ChrisJohn
Contributor
Message 197 of 1,144

Go to solution

It has been usual for mobile companies in the past to restrict wi-fi calling to those phone purchased direct from said company as it would then contain the requisite customised hardware.

This does seem to be changing.

I have a Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact bought unlocked and SIM free.  It did not give any indication of supporting Wi-Fi calling until I put the EE SIM in.  Wi-Fi calling then immediately appeared in the settings as an option so clearly hardware has evolved and mobile companies can now include a feature on their SIM that activates this on the phone.  This certainly seems to be the case with my Android 8.0 phone. 

0 Ratings
orozz
Aspiring Expert
Message 198 of 1,144

Go to solution
If the signal is 4G your phone could now be on the 4G800 layer which EE users with compatible handsets can use.

Until VoLTE or 4G calling is up and running BT Mobile users can't use this layer.

I have 2 phones, one with an EE sim and the other with a BT Mobile sim. In network mode with both iPhones side by side you can see often that EE has jumped to band 20 4G800 but the BT Mobile has gone to 2G.

On band 3 4G1800 or band 7 4G2600 there is no difference in signal.
0 Ratings
ChrisJohn
Contributor
Message 199 of 1,144

Go to solution

Thanks for that information.  Could I ask how you know exactly what you are connected to?  Is there an Andorid app perhaps that analyses and reports on the connection status?

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 200 of 1,144

Go to solution

@ChrisJohn wrote:

It has been usual for mobile companies in the past to restrict wi-fi calling to those phone purchased direct from said company as it would then contain the requisite customised hardware.

This does seem to be changing.

I have a Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact bought unlocked and SIM free.  It did not give any indication of supporting Wi-Fi calling until I put the EE SIM in.  Wi-Fi calling then immediately appeared in the settings as an option so clearly hardware has evolved and mobile companies can now include a feature on their SIM that activates this on the phone.  This certainly seems to be the case with my Android 8.0 phone. 

BT know exactly which phone / model you are using so they will know whether it will work with VoLTE & Wi-Fi Calling.

If I put an EE SIM in my iPhone X then the EE network gives me VoLTE & WiFi calling access immediately, and the options appear in iOS menus where they don't appear with the BT SIM at present.

There is no reason why BT won't enable these services automatically by phone type, especially because a large part of their business is based on SIM only contract sales.

0 Ratings