Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 211 of 1,140

Re: Wifi Calling

Go to solution

True wifi callings is not an app, its when the network uses the firmware of the handset.

Most Mainstream makers have built in wifi calling into "some" of their handsets whilst some makers have not updated the firmware of others - making it limited handsets.

That has nothing to do with BT, but the handset and the makers of the handset and tho who create firmware updates.

BT, have never formally announced the launch of Wifi calling or what handsets it will work on other than it is in a trial phase. People seem to think its just a flick of a switch or becuase EE and BT are the same company that it should be instant. I dont work for BT but the timeline will be dictated by the agreement with EE (as bt is still MVNO), The firmware updates from Apple, Android and then handset being tested. Then BT will have to make lots of network changes to sims and routing of calls for billing, Then finally acutally test that the service works.

On top of this 4G (VoLTE) calling (which is different to the normal 4G were currently using) is still fairly new to EE. If you want to read more about VoLTE look at this article for a basic understanding..4G Calling - VoLTE

As EE & BT are still run as two companies why would EE want BT to offer all the same same servives for half the price? It is in BT Mobile best interest to get this service up and running as soon as possible, but they needs to ensure that the get the best customer experience which is why they have both BT Staff and a Consumer trials Team testing the service before a roll out.

BT agents will rarely know anything until they have staff trainging so calling them for a weekly update will result in misinformation. NO doubt those testing it, and the moderators here will let the cat out of the bag when its ready.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 212 of 1,140

Go to solution

@Deryman EE launched with only handsets purchased from them from a support prespective, otherwise they would need to test everyhandset that could work on their netowrk and train staff on handset they dont even sell. A but like certain ISP's only support their own broadband routers.

Just looking at EE's website this list of handsets are fully supported even if not purchased from the network

• Apple iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, SE, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X
  • Google Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL
  • Sony Xperia XZ1, Xperia XZ1 Compact
  • Huawei P10, P10 lite, P10 Plus
  • HTC U11
  • Blackberry Priv, Dtek 50, Dtek 60, KEYone
  • Nokia 3, 5, 8

And this is the list of handset supported when purchased from the network

• Samsung Galaxy S8, S8+, S7, S7 edge, S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+, Xcover 4, A3 (2017), A5 (2017), J5 (2017), Note 8
  • Sony Xperia L1, XA1, XZ, XZ Premium, X, XA, X Compact, Z5, Z5 Premium and Z5 Compact
  • Microsoft Lumia 550, 650, 950, 950XL
  • Huawei P8 lite (2017), P9
  • HTC 10
  • LG G6, G5, G5 SE, X Cam, K8 (2016), K8 (2017),  K10 (2017)

Im not sure which of the lower list BT will allow, but you can see which handset support 4G/wifi calling

0 Ratings
Shotgunjohn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 213 of 1,140

Go to solution
Thanks Dean... this reply was meant to be on a different comment. Waiting with anticipation for WiFi calling, living in a dead zone and missing calls from work, ironic that I get 77Mbps internet but no coverage
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 214 of 1,140

Go to solution

Trust me, I feel your pain. I can get 4g at the end of the street just not at my house 🙂

Trust me Wi-fi and 4g calling will be here soon! As customers we have a huge wish list of things we want be it from BT mobile or BT Tv. The trials team work hard to get stuff out as fast as they can but they have to constantly tweak everything to ensure the best customer experience otherwise we’re back here saying it’s not working.

Many people would be jealous of your 77Mbps lol

0 Ratings
Deryman
Contributor
Message 215 of 1,140

Go to solution

Let’s hope a similar good selection is supported from the outset assuming the service launches one day.

0 Ratings
chrissheppy69
Contributor
Message 216 of 1,140

Go to solution
So that's my new Oneplus 5t not compatible, our Oneplus 3t, iPhone 5s and Motorola G5 plus all not compatible, wish I never left 3 now with my unlimited data lying bar stuards!!!!
0 Ratings
Shotgunjohn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 217 of 1,140

Go to solution
I'm in the business (telecomms) so realise the pitfalls, maybe 5gNR will see more coverage, small cells on by poles etc
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 218 of 1,140

Go to solution
All good comes to those who wait... and wait... and wait. lol. I say this every time I buy a lotto ticket.

We should be equally as excited about 4G calling as we are Wi-fi calling
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 219 of 1,140

Go to solution

@chrissheppy69 as ive said that list was taken from EE, I would wait until the launch on BT to see what handsets are actually supported before calling anyone Lying Bar Stewards! 

BT actually want you to make calls, go over your allowance and make money. Not sit without a signal lol

Unfiortuantly, as BT Mobile is MVNO on EE you will always be a few steps behind but thats why its half the price

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 220 of 1,140

Go to solution

@Dean007

Your list is remarkably similar to those devices which are declared as capable of operating Android 7.

Are you sure???

Yet another prompt to upgrade your phone?......

0 Ratings