Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 51 of 1,136

Re: Wifi Calling

Go to solution

@moira1951 wrote:
Was ready to switch to BT sim only as I've my own iPhone 6s. My contract is with Vodafone but I only remain with them due to wifi calling. Asked about it but girl was vague and didn't think they could do it. Shame as I'd have moved. Come on BT.

BT have SmartTalk at the moment, for calls over WiFi.

0 Ratings
ChrisJohn
Contributor
Message 52 of 1,136

Go to solution

With respect, Smart Talk is not what we are asking for and cannot do the same thing.  It is mainly a tool to enable you to call when away from home but have the calls charged to your home account.  It does not enable you to use your mobile and its number when at home by routing the signal via wi-fi and the internet when your mobile signal is poor.

I have to tell people not to call me on my mobile as it almost never rings when I am in my home as the signal is too weak.  BT has so far failed to implement the wi-fi calling service that their subsidiary EE has offered for quite some time now.  Simlarly BT does not make available a device such as Vodaphone's Sure Signal that provides a facility to boost the 3G signal in one's home using the internet connection.

As the largest communications provider in the country, regrettably BT always seems to be playing catch-up when it comes to innovative services.  It should be the leader!

0 Ratings
clementscastle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 53 of 1,136

Go to solution
Chris John, BT do offer a similar system to sure signal as my company have had one installed in my home to get my BT phone to work.

I did initially, once this was fitted then change over to BT mobile for both myself and husbands mobiles but on the 2nd day we had an 8 hour power cut so we were once again left without signal.

I cancelled with the 14 days in the end as this lack of service is just not on. That and they then still had the cheek to charge me for the month until I complained.

Don't get me wrong, I will happily pay for calls/ data that was used when we were away from home but to sting us when 80% of the time we couldn't make or receive calls. Utter pants.

I would like to think they would have sorted this by now but judging how this very old thread keeps popping up I wouldn't hold your breath.

Stick with a provider that can give you service (we changed to talkmobile in the end which uses Vodafone network and works perfectly here - a quarter of the price and so far they have gone out of their way with customer service)
0 Ratings
Seamaster
Aspiring Expert
Message 54 of 1,136

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

BT have SmartTalk at the moment, for calls over WiFi.

The people who keep suggesting this need to research what wifi calling is. 

SmartTalk is not a substitute. 

0 Ratings
orozz
Aspiring Expert
Message 55 of 1,136

Go to solution

Agreed, Wifi Calling would be a great addition. Springfields in Spalding and Serpentine Green in Peterborough are both poor indoors with EE/BT but are bathed in BT Wifi.

BT Smart Talk did help out today though as I was in a no service area but with BT Smart Talk I was able to make calls over the pubs wifi. Just be careful of calling non BT Mobiles as theses are charged as per calling a mobile at home. 

0 Ratings
Steviegal1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 56 of 1,136

Go to solution
Any update on wifi calling?
0 Ratings
lonetuber1
Message 57 of 1,136

Go to solution

Does not look like it no, However i am not sure if this will help anyone but the reason i wanted to stay with BT was due to their prices are less than EE and looking at EE's pay monthly phones are crazy expensive. I did however end up getting a S7 Edge from Carphone Warehouse on a pay monthly with EE and even though Carphone warehouse and EE both said i cannot use Wi-Fi calling if i DO NOT buy it from EE direct which at the time was a LOT more expensive than Carphone warehouse and probably still is, I just thought well i can try it and send it back within 14 days if it does not work with W-Fi calling however to my suprise it does and it works flawlessly. This might not work for every model but happy that i now have wifi calling ability.

0 Ratings
orozz
Aspiring Expert
Message 58 of 1,136

Go to solution

The S7 EDGE Wi-Fi calling will work no matter where you bought the handset from according to EE. EE Wi-Fi Calling phones

I'm using my BT SIM in a Samsung Galaxy A5 2017. The Wi-Fi calling option is there as it VoLTE but both do nothing.

0 Ratings
iscorrer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 59 of 1,136

Go to solution
I'd like this functionality too. Come on BT, do yourselves a favour and get this ability ported over from EE to BT...you know it makes sense 👍🏻
0 Ratings
dbrose77
Message 60 of 1,136

Go to solution

I have had WifiCalling for the last 2 years first on EE then on 3.  3 was awful and their outdoor service has been shocking.  I have just got out of contract with them and signed up for BT, my only concern with BT is lack of WifiCalling and thei silence on whether they will get it .

However, interestingly if you look on Apple's Carrier Service Website and scroll down to UK only the actual networks show WifiCalling service and none of the MVNOs.  So I am wondering whether this is more technical than 'just bringing it to the network'.  I will assess the signal at home in the first 14 days and see how it goes.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings