Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcordiner
Beginner
Message 71 of 1,136

Re: Wifi Calling

Go to solution

It's been such a long time coming. Lets hope this is actually going to happen.

We moved to BT Mobile some time ago and have been plagued by miserable mobile signal indoors ever since.

I contacted BT Mobile help afer finding a page on their site about a 'Signal Assist' box, but after a call back, their rep acknowledged that this had been a trial which was now closed.

Strange that the page is still live on their site!!

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57038/c/7707

Anyway here's hoping this long overdue service WILL happen soon - August?

0 Ratings
liambardz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 72 of 1,136

Go to solution

I have a feeling this will be launched alongside the next iPhone which is due to be released next month.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 73 of 1,136

Go to solution
I have a feeling you could be right. It’s in final testing now shouldn’t be much longer.
liambardz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 74 of 1,136

Go to solution

Well it's 1st September & no WiFi Calling, fingers crossed its inline with the next iPhone launch

0 Ratings
ChrisJohn
Contributor
Message 75 of 1,136

Go to solution

As long as its use is not restricted to iPhones or specific new phones that have to be bought from BT?

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 76 of 1,136

Go to solution

Wifi calling is model restricted by handset and no doubt some restrictions by network. As BT Mobile is on the back of EE it would be fair to say conditions will be the same

EE's website states...

WiFi Calling is available on all versions of the iPhone 5c and later models of the iPhone, as well as:

Samsung Galaxy S8, S8+, S7, S7 edge, S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+, A3 (2017), A5 (2017), J5 (2017), Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Nokia 3, Nokia 5, Lumia 550, 650, 950, 950XL, HTC 10, HTC U11, BlackBerry Priv, BlackBerry Dtek 50, BlackBerry Dtek 60, BlackBerry KEYone, Google Pixel, Google Pixel XL, Huawei P10, P10 Lite and P10 Plus.

BT Mobile are currently testing Wifi calling fingers crossed it will be here soon. For those without any of the above models then maybe a signal box maybe the best way forward.

For those who are unsure of how wifi calling works

Calling and texting over WiFi Calling

You don’t need to download an app or plug anything in. Just call, text and send picture messages as normal whenever you see the WiFi Call indicator in the top left hand of your screen.

Moving out of WiFi coverage

If you're on the move while making a call, our 4G Calling enabled phones will seamlessly handover to 4G as you move out of range of your WiFi coverage and vice versa to allow your call to continue. Check your phone supports 4G Calling

If your phone doesn’t support 4G Calling or you don’t have 4G coverage, then your call will drop as you move out of WiFi coverage and you’ll need to call again once you have a mobile or WiFi signal.

Remembering the WiFi network

Once you’ve connected to a WiFi network it’ll connect automatically next time you use the service. So you only need to connect once at home. If you're using public WiFi, you may be required to reconnect every time.

Calling 999 on WiFi Calling

You can call the emergency services on 999, but they can’t identify your location. So you should use a fixed line phone for these calls and only use WiFi Calling as a last resort. You should never rely on WiFi Calling as your only way to call 999.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 77 of 1,136

Go to solution

Well the Apple Confrence is Sept 12th, Apple release the GM version of iOS11 to developers but BT could activate calling at anytime really

0 Ratings
ChrisJohn
Contributor
Message 78 of 1,136

Go to solution
....and as I have a fairly new Sony Xperia XZ Compact I guess that a signal box will be necessary. I did not know these were available. Please give details of where I can get one or at least read about one. Thanks.
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 79 of 1,136

Go to solution

Google is your best friend.... a quick search found this

set up WiFi Calling on the Sony Xperia X Compact. Just follow the three simple steps below to get started.

1. Connect your phone to WiFi

Can't find your WiFi network?

2. Switch WiFi Calling on

• From the home screen, tap the Apps icon
  • Tap Settings
  • Tap More
  • Tap Wi-Fi Calling
  • Set the Wi-Fi Calling toggle switch to On.
  • WiFi Calling is now enabled

3. Wait for your confirmation message

Once you’ve turned WiFi Calling on, we'll activate it for you within 24 hours.

For details of a singal box look up the EE's singal box the principles are the same. But I find that wifi calling is more consitant than the box.

0 Ratings
ChrisJohn
Contributor
Message 80 of 1,136

Go to solution

That would indeed be good but my Xperia X Compact does not have that option as I bought it "unlocked".  Google advises me that:

WiFi Calling on the Sony Xperia X Compact - Google Search

Please note: WiFi Calling is only available on the EE version of the Sony Xperia X Compact, bought directly from us in one of our stores, online at EE.co.uk, or through our telesales team.

That was what I was afraid about.  If BT WiFi calling follows the same approach it will not work on my phone and I suspect. lots of other phones.
0 Ratings