Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AdiG
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Wifi calling - Google Pixel 2

Go to solution

I've been trying to get Wifi calling to work on my Google Pixel 2 as the mobile signal is rubbish where I live. I do realise it isn't one of the officially supported handsets and that it only 'may' work.

I've been through all of the forum posts about getting Wifi calling to work on unsupported handsets and have changed the APN settings to EE which unfortunately didn't make any difference. I also contacted BT Mobile support as some of the posts have suggested to contact them to enusre the relavant updates have been applied to the sim. I was told in no uncertain terms that's it's nothing to do with their end and that if I'd turned on the Wifi Calling option on the handset and it didn't work then tough luck!

I basically have 2 questions. Firstly, have I been fobbed off by BT Mobile support by saying there's nothing they can check or do to the sim card to set it up and secondly, has anyone actually got their Pixel 2 to work with Wifi calling.

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Wifi calling - Google Pixel 2

Go to solution

Hi @AdiG

When wifi calling first started to roll out, it was done in phases so not all sims were done at the same time. The sim and accounts needed updates to ensure that they had been enabled. This process has now been completed so all sims have migrated and in theory are wifi & 4G calling ready regardless of your handset.

The Pixel 2 has been mentioned several times on the wifi calling thread, but people do not always update the thread so they may have got it working. As far BT Mobile go, they can only officially support the iPhone 5S and above and S8 & S9 with BT Mobile Stock firmware that has been tested and works. They will not offer any additonal support for other handsets.

The only options I can suggest are, to try a replacement sim. In some cases getting a new sim has done something and people have got their wifi calling working. You can order a replacement sim, via the mobile section of your BT.com account.

Or call and speak to the mobile team (ideally call off a landline so they can run test if they need to) and say that you have no reception indoors, and see if they will allow you to purchase a signal assist box. This plugs into your BT Home Hub and  puts a 3G singal around your home. This will allow any BT mobile sim to connect when your in rage of the assist box.

AdiG
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks @Dean007  for the prompt response.

I'll try a new sim although more in hope than expectation. That being said, the existing sim is 20 months old so you never know...

I didn't realise BT even did a signal booster! I've had a look and it would appear that you can now purchase them direct  from the BT Shop for £19.99 + p&p without having to ask if you're eligible - happy days.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@AdiG

Not a problem. Let me know how you get on 

AdiG
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@Dean007

Tried a new sim but WiFi calling unfortuntely still didn't work. Ordered a Signal Assist box direct from the BT Shop. It took approx. 6 hours to activate but I now have full network coverage - first time in years!!

Many thanks for suggesting the Signal Assist box - problem solved.

Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Hi @AdiG

Thanks for the update, glad the Signal Assist is working. It's a new addition to the BT Store, previously it was offered on a trial basis. This is now avalible to anyone via the store, and ideal for anyone who is unable get wifi calling on their phone.

0 Ratings