cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Xperia XA2 Unlocking

Hi, I have been a BT Mobile pay monthly customer for several years now and most recently (over 2 years) have been using a Sony Xperia XA2 handset that was my wifes unwanted upgrade on her EE account (it was never used on EE). I have now transferred my number to a Sky account but am getting a network lock pin code dialog when the phone starts and cannot use the Sky sim. I assumed that this was because it was locked to EE but with BT being on the same network I had got away with it up to now. However, EE insist that the phone locks to the provider it was first used on and this is therefore BT - how do I go about getting it unlocked as the BT page suggests it is not one of the phones they lock?

Thanks,

Dave

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 7

Re: Xperia XA2 Unlocking

Hi @scimitar,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for taking the time to post.

It's possible that the webpage is slightly out of date and we have started locking some Sony mobiles. To get a mobile unlocked you would need to speak to our mobile team on 0800 800 150 and they would be able to arrange for a unlock code to be sent out to you.

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for your reply.
So just to confirm, is it correct what EE are telling me and the phone locks to the provider whose sim is used first, not necessarily the provider who sold the handset?
0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 4 of 7

@scimitar,

Sorry I completely missed that part of your post. 

I don't think what EE have advised you is correct, as far as I am aware the phone is locked to the network which provided the handset. How could we provide you with an unlock code for a mobile that's not listed on your BT account?

OFCOM states - "Mobile handsets are sometimes 'locked' to the network from which the handset is purchased. This means the handset will usually only work when used with that particular provider."

I can try and find out a little more information from our Mobile team tomorrow if that helps?

Matt

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

If you could that would be great because I did question it with EE and they were insistent that it was the case, but it goes against my understanding. Although I do realise it is probably unusual to never connect the phone to the providers network, so it may just be an assumption that it is locked to that network but perhaps the handset just locks itself to the network whose sim is first used?
0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 6 of 7

@scimitar,

I checked this over with our Mobile Team and the handset is locked to the network which provided the phone and not the network of the first SIM card. EE can unlock devices if they are over 6 months old but may charge £8.99 to do this. The device can be unlocked by Calling EE or via your wife's My EE account. You may be asked for the handsets IMEI number which you can get by dialling *#06#.

Hope this helps.

Matt

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for following that up for, sadly I have already been through the process with EE and they insist that they can't help. I will bang my head against the wall again... 

0 Ratings