Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maramato
Beginner
Message 1 of 26

charged for group message

Go to solution
flabbergasted and very fed up to find I have been charged for a straightforward text I sent to about 10 people - no photos or emoticons within text, just plain text. this cost me over £5. I am told it is BT policy. grrrrrrrr
0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
maramato
Beginner
Message 2 of 26

Re: 40p charge

Go to solution
I have just discovered that I have been charged over £5 for a group text I sent containing nothing but plain text!!!! I am furious.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 26

Re: charged for group message

Go to solution

Who told you it was BT policy? As far as I'm aware, sending an SMS to multiple recipients should cost the same as sending a separate one to each - nothing.

I would ask Billing online chat for an explanation and keep a copy of the conversation. If you don't get a satisfactory answer, please return here for further advice.

EDIT: Duplication causes confusion so I've moved your parallel post here.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 4 of 26

Re: 40p charge

Go to solution

@maramato I've looked this up and can see that some handsets will convert long texts or texts sent to more than one number into a picture message. This is something that's done on the handset before the message is sent, so we will charge for each picture message. 

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
maramato
Beginner
Message 5 of 26

Go to solution
Thank you for your response. Imho then BT should do the honourable thing and warn the customer before the text is sent. Quite disgraceful and a scam. I am furious. BT operates in a quite dishonourable way.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 26

Go to solution

I'm sorry for the way you feel, as I have mentioned this is something that is changed by your mobile handset before the messages are sent and BT have no control over this.

It may be worth checking the message settings on your mobile to see if this is something you can change. Having the latest device software should mean that the phone will warn you the SMS has been converted to an MMS.

On Android, if the "Group Messaging" option is turned on within Messaging Settings, then group messages will be sent as MMS.

On iOS, if the "Group Messaging" option is turned on within the Messages section under Settings, then group messages will be sent as MMS.

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 26

Go to solution

Thanks for clearing that up, Neil. I thought it might be a phone setting but on Android it's in MMS settings rather than SMS, which seems to me to be the wrong way round.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
margox
Beginner
Message 8 of 26

Go to solution
This happened to me on Christmas day and New Years day when I sent a group txt with no emojis.or pictures. It was a setting on the iPhone which allows sms to be converted to mms if it can't deliver it. I contacted BT who refunded the amount as credit on mu next Bill. I also turned off the mms setting on the iPhone.
0 Ratings
orozz
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 26

Go to solution
I've turned off mms on my iPhone and deleted the MMS profile on my android phone. This stops any accidents.
Col2
Message 10 of 26

Go to solution

I quite agree! I have been horrified to find how much BT charge for short text messages sent out to groups of contacts. Not only do they charge 40p for such texts, they charge that for each sddressee in the group. So a group short text message to 8 contacts becomes a charge of not 40p but £3.20
I had sent a number of such messages to my group in a month to find a bill of £24
No warning from BT
No opportunity to waive such cost. Just "I'm sorry you feel like that".
This amounts to a very nasty hidden charge. We are mis-sold contracts with supposedly "Unlimited Texts", but loaded with large charges on our bills. 

BT and any other "service provider" behaving like this are a disgrace.

0 Ratings