cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Col2
Message 11 of 26

Re: charged for group message

Go to solution

I absolutely agree! I have been horrified to find how much BT charge for short text messages sent out to groups of contacts. Not only do they charge 40p for such texts, they charge that for each sddressee in the group. So a group short text message to 8 contacts becomes a charge of not 40p but £3.20
I had sent a number of such messages to my group in a month to find myself landed with a bill of over £24
No warning from BT
No opportunity to waive such cost.
Just "I'm sorry you feel like that" when I complained.

This amounts to a very nasty hidden charge. We are mis-sold contracts with supposedly "Unlimited Texts", but loaded with large charges on our bills. 

BT and any other "service provider" behaving like this are a disgrace.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 26

Go to solution

Are you sure this is not because of your phone's settings (see earlier messages)? If your phone is set to send group messages as MMS, any provider will charge for them accordingly. In that case it's not a hidden charge so much as a hidden setting.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Col2
Message 13 of 26

Go to solution

There is no warning when signing up for so-called unlimited text that you have to know about some setting on your phone to avoid being charged 24 quid for sending a few very short text messages. I'm sorry, that may be a convenient get out for the phone companies, but it's something they must be aware of and don't take any kind of steps to warn people. They are cashing in on many (possibly thousands) of people who don't realise the costs they are going to incur. The phone companies are a guilty as hell in my opinion. They should provide better explanations. But they are rewarded with huge amounts of cash for letting us all make the mistake of not knowing this nasty pitfall.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 26

Go to solution

I assume you did not check that MMS messages are not included in your text bundle  many providers do not include MMS messages as part of the free text

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 26

Go to solution

@Col2

Please see the tariff guide for all of BT’s plans it clearly states on page 112-113 about out of plan cost and MMS charges. 

Tariff Guide

0 Ratings
Col2
Message 16 of 26

Go to solution

THE POINT I AM MAKING IS THAT SMALL PRINT ON PAGE 112 IS NOT A FAIR WAY OF INFORMING CUSTOMERS THAT "UNLIMITED TEXTS" DOESN'T MEAN WHAT IT SEEMS... IF YOU SEND TINY TEXTS TO SEVERAL PEOPLE AT ONCE IN A GROUP THEY CHARGE FOR EVERY SINGLE TEXT!! IT IS A SHAMEFUL DECEIT.

THIS IS ALL CLASSIC WEASEL WORDS USED BY CORPORATIONS TO KEEP TAKING MONEY OFF PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY FALL INTO HIDDEN CHARGES.IN.THE.SMALL.PRINT!!

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 26

Go to solution

@Col2

The best course of action if you are not happy is to make a formal complaint via the mobile online chat team. 

BT Mobile online chat.

0 Ratings
Highlinder
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 26

Go to solution

Seems I best sort out my law degree before I take a further contract out with that amount of small print involved. Might just get a reader to read it out for some bed time reading.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 26

Go to solution

@Highlinder wrote:

Seems I best sort out my law degree before I take a further contract out with that amount of small print involved. Might just get a reader to read it out for some bed time reading.

Not relevant. If it's a phone setting that's led to the problem, even reading every word of the provider's T&C from top to bottom wouldn't help.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlinder
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 26

Go to solution

What I was getting at with my comment was the length of the t's & c's , just a bit of humor that is all.

0 Ratings