Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 21 of 26

Re: charged for group message

Go to solution

I appreciated that you were being ironic and didn't intend to be harsh. I'm no apologist for BT but think that the accusations here of sharp practice are misplaced. The issue is with the phone settings not BT's or any other provider's T&C, all ofwhich are extensive because that's the nature of the beast.

Expecting providers to be routinely alive to third party issues with potentially unwelcome consequences, and be prepared to take the rap if they don't issue warnings, is fairyland. If there's a failing here it's with phone manufacturers whose products default to the MMS option, which seems unlikely to benefit many users.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Col2
Message 22 of 26

Go to solution

I undertand all of that, but I am a long time mobile user and the first I heard of this was when I got sting for  large bill. I still firmly think that mobile providers should make very clear up front when selling contracts claiming unlimited texts that there is this nasty surprise awaiting. They do not make that clear. BT is as guilty as the rest in not making this clear. And when you call or use chat all you get is "I'm sorry you feel like that, but it is there in the xxx page terms and conditions. It should be made very clear up front. I will not be making that mistake again, but I remain angry that they have taken a lot of money off me for a mistake I should have been made aware of.

0 Ratings
clever_trevor
Contributor
Message 23 of 26

Go to solution

It’s a shame picture messages MMS are not like txt message & inclusive or taken from your data allowance. 

I turn off MMS on iPhone as default is on 

also, we should be able to disable/ block MMS by network.

seems all networks same here - they keep quiet about MMS. 

Apple is better here than Android with iMessage. 

Not good the high charges for MMS. 

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 24 of 26

Go to solution

Hi @Col2

Its never good when you get a bill bigger than you were expecting, first thing you may want to do is lower your spend cap on your sim card. The lowest you can set it to is £5 over your allowance but you can makes it higher if you wish and they will text you when you have spent 80%.. you can do this via your BT account.

Whilst I understand the upset of a bigger bill, on BT's side their job is to suppy the sim and service. Their tariff guide explains the cost of each type of call and text. As tech gets better mobile phones are able to do more and bring additonal features. Most of these are brought to you by the handset, and each handset and operating system does things differently. To be honest, group messaging is best on iPhones using imessage or on android via third party apps such as whats app. That said most handset have the ability to turn off sending messages if say imessage fails as a text to stops this happening due to the fact if you add an emoji or gifs as these are then sent as MMS. As pointed out in another post this is the same with all networks im afraid.

0 Ratings
clever_trevor
Contributor
Message 25 of 26

Go to solution

And what about the spend cap, if set to lowstest £5 would this protect from MMS & bill shock ?

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 26 of 26

Go to solution

Hi @clever_trevor

No, to ensure you don’t get a shock bill would be for the consumer to understand their device, the services it offers and the charges that apply to the services. 

BT never hid their chargers the consumer didn’t understand how the feature worked and how chargers were applied. By using the spend cap it would reduce the amount by how much a consumer can overspend. 

However I’ve had a conversation to see if there is anyway we can get BT to revisit the spending cap as I do appreciate both sides.