cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mjonesuk
Message 1 of 8

lost phone - insurance needs imei proof of usage and blacklist

Has anyone else had this issue?  My insurance company require 'proof of usage including IMEI number' and 'proof of blacklisting'.  So far I have been unable to obtain either from BT Mobile.

The handset was purchased separately, unlocked. BT claim they do not keep records of usage against the specific handset used and can't blacklist the device as it wasnt purchased from them.

This effectively ruins my insurance claim (£700 down the drain) so if anyone has managed to resolve a similar issue I'd be very grateful to hear how!

Many thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: lost phone - insurance needs imei proof of usage and blacklist

You can get the IMEI number by logging into MyBT and selecting your mobile number. It will give you the SIM and phone details. BT can disable the SIM card, but I am not sure about the phone. You may have to contact the place you bought the phone from.

P.S. I would never pay that sort of money for a phone.

0 Ratings
mjonesuk
Message 3 of 8

Keith, thanks - yes it wasn't cheap (Galaxy Note 😎 but was cheapest available unlocked. I may reconsider for my next purchase!

I have a new SIM and using a different phone now, so none of the previous details are available unfortunately...

If I'd known all this in the first instance, I wouldnt have bothered with the insurance...

I'll contact the seller to see if they can assist.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

@mjonesuk

It seems your insurance company is being a little bit naughty, but they are indeed correct. Only the network can block the IMEI number of a handset and most do it when they block the SIM regardless of where the handset comes from.

Insurance companies then use a company like checkmend to check the sim and the handset was blacklisted. This issue is not just one that affects BT mobile as other netowrks try and get out of blocking the IMEI which is why I moved from O2.

0 Ratings
mjonesuk
Message 5 of 8

Thanks Dean - I've tried all the other routes too - i.e. marked it as missing on Immobilise, registered the IMEI has missing with imeipro and reportmyloss.com etc, but nothing seems to have happened yet.

Appreciate your help.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Re: Proof Of Usage

Hi 

I was wondering if this was ever resolved and if BT sent you the information you needed. Currently going through the same thing and the insurance company need "proof of usaage" e.g. date and place of last usage etc. 

Would be greatful for a reply. Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Hi 

I was wondering if this was ever resolved and if BT sent you the information you needed. Currently going through the same thing and the insurance company need "proof of usage" e.g. date and place of last usage etc. 

Did you manage to claim through your insurance in the end?

Would be greatful for a reply. Thanks

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

Re: Proof Of Usage

Hi @rachelallighan

You have responded to an old post, and the users who created the post have not logged in for a while.

I noticed you have posted the same question on another thread, I have mentioned on that thread I will ask around about and try and find out if there is a way for you to get that information. If I get any news I will post back on the current thread that you posted.

0 Ratings