Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geoffcox
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

thinking of moving from pop3 to imap as have an iphone

Go to solution

I read that as I now am about to start to use an iphone as well as Outlook 2010 on my PC it woulde make sense to change from pop3 to imap.

Looking at my webmail I see emails dating back to only January 22, 2016 and these are not stored in separate folders. I have many more emails on my PC and they are stored in separate folders.

Is it possible for the iphone to have access to the emails earlier than January 22?

What is my best plan?!

Cheers

Geoff

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: thinking of moving from pop3 to imap as have an iphone

Go to solution

If you have previously had your email accounts set up as POP3 it may be that you have had the POP3 email client set to delete the emails from the server after they have been downloaded or after a set time.  

If that is the case the emails that have been downloaded onto your PC will only be on your PC and not the server hence the reason you can not see them in webmail.

You do not need to change from POP3 to IMAP on your PC. You only need to do that if you want your phone, your PC and your webmail all to be synchronised. ie delete on one, deleted on them all. Sent on one, sent on them all. 

If you want to change your PC email client from a POP3 account to an IMAP account you will only be able to synchronise with any emails that are still on the server to date but going forward it will synchronise with all new emails and any folders that you set up on the server.

You can not change from POP3 to IMAP on the fly. You will need to set up a new IMAP account. You can do this while the POP3 account is still active. If you then decide to delete the POP3 account make sure you save any emails/folders that you have as they may be deleted.

geoffcox
Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply.

If I keep to pop3 how does that work for the mobile phone?

Which emails do I see on the phone?

Do I then also see the same emails on my PC when I open Outlook later?

How about emails created and deleted on the phone, on the PC?

Can I use Outlook 2010 on the mobile?

Help!

Cheers

Geoff

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

@geoffcox wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

If I keep to pop3 how does that work for the mobile phone?

Which emails do I see on the phone?

Do I then also see the same emails on my PC when I open Outlook later?

How about emails created and deleted on the phone, on the PC?

Can I use Outlook 2010 on the mobile?

Help!

Cheers

Geoff

I think from what have posted the best option for you would be to set all your devices up as IMAP accounts. If you are not sure how things work you will find it is easier to mange just having them set up that way rather than having a mixture of POP3 and IMAP.

Doing that will have everything the same on all your devices. Everything is replicated and synchronised without you having to do anything or manage anything.

This link might explain things better

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44934/~/what%E2%80%99s-the-difference-between-imap-an...

I don't think you can have Outlook 2010 on the iPhone but the Apple email client should be able to work without a problem as an IMAP account.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

It really depends on how you use email. If you need full integration between your devices and want regularly to send and receive email on the go, IMAP is the way forward as gg suggests. If you're only going to use the iPhone for occasional email, there are alternatives.

My email is virtually all handled with POP on my laptop. When I got my first smartphone I set that up for POP also, making sure that messages were left on the server when read on the phone so that I could download to the laptop when I got home. I also had messages deleted automatically from the phone once downloaded to the laptop. Any messages sent from the phone were automatically copied to myself, again so that I could later store them on the laptop if needed. A kind of IMAP lite.

In the event, I used email on the phone so rarely that I didn't bother with it when I replaced the phone. It's easier to go to webmail, an experience sufficiently unpleasant to restrict emailing on my phone to emergency use, or to handling new messages if I've nothing better to do.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
geoffcox
Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

thanks for the link

cheers

Geoff

0 Ratings
geoffcox
Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

I have made the move to imap and have been able to copy folders from my original pop3 outlook to the imap outlook and these now appear in BT Mail.

so far so good (I think!) but I have an empty calendar in BT Mail and a full one in Outlook, Can I sync the two?!

I get the impression that this cannot be done but hope I'm wrong!

Geoff

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution
0 Ratings
geoffcox
Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

not quite what I need - I want to first import my Outlook 2010 calendar entries into BT Mail and then sync them with my iphone5s ...

can this be done? If yes, how?!

Cheers

Geoff

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

@geoffcox wrote:

can this be done?

Not sure, but do you need two calendars? The Outlook one which came with my Windows 8 laptop works well synced with the Outlook app on my phone. I found it a bit of a devil to set up with the notifications I wanted (or rather the ones I didn't) though, and the user interface is friendlier in Windows than the app.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings