cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arcticfox2096
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

unexplained high daily mobile data usage question

I got myself a new iPad (wifi only) and downloaded the “My BT” App on it today. I signed in and went to the Mobile data used section and am very puzzled.

i am on a 4GB a month mobile data package and it was reset today but it’s showing that I have used 2.7gb today but my mobile phone has been in my bag all day, only took it out at 3pm to read a Facebook message. Any other browsing has been in the house through wifi.

Is there anyway I can check what the 2.7gb of data has been used on in one day because it’s puzzling me as apart from last month I’m lucky if I use 2gb all month, I’m not a big mobile user.

Thanks for any help.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: unexplained high daily mobile data usage question

Hi @arcticfox2096 

I don't think you can see a breakdown of what has used data, you could look at a breakdown of the battery usage to see what has been using the battery - that might give you an idea but only if you haven't recharged since your data was used.

Do you have the BT Mobile app on your phone, if so is it showing the same data usage? I would check that your phone only updates apps over wifi, even if it isn't 2.7gb seems an awful lot. Have you streamed anything over 4G instead of wifi by mistake, 2.7gb is about 2 hours worth.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 3 of 4

@arcticfox2096 wrote:

I got myself a new iPad (wifi only) and downloaded the “My BT” App on it today. I signed in and went to the Mobile data used section and am very puzzled.

i am on a 4GB a month mobile data package and it was reset today but it’s showing that I have used 2.7gb today but my mobile phone has been in my bag all day, only took it out at 3pm to read a Facebook message. Any other browsing has been in the house through wifi.

Is there anyway I can check what the 2.7gb of data has been used on in one day because it’s puzzling me as apart from last month I’m lucky if I use 2gb all month, I’m not a big mobile user.

Thanks for any help.

On an Android mobile phone you can go to settings > data usage. This will give a view of usage by application. It’s probably not 100% specific but gives you a guide as to usage.

Similarly on the iPhone, ( if you are using that) go to settings > data, and you will be guided to usage by application.

In neither case do you need to have data enabled.

Perhaps it’s best to leave data setting off when outdoors.....the phone still receives calls!

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 4 of 4

Check and make sure settings has that any updates are done over wi-fi, I had this issue when I got my new phone, all the updates came down whilst I was out, using my data allowance.

0 Ratings