cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

wifi calling

I'm thinking of switching to BT mobile when my current contract expires. I'll need wifi calling but the list of acceptable phones on the pinned thread is well over two years old. Can it be updated?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Message 2 of 17

Re: wifi calling

Hey @Jeremy69a 

Thanks for your post!

That's a good shout!  I'll pass this over to the Community manager about the possibility of getting the list updated 😀

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

And is there any update please on this topic from over a month ago?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 17

What phone do you have? maybe someone on this forum could answer your question for you

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

The phone I have is a Samsung A70 which works with wifi calling on my present contract with Vodafone. I just think it is beyond poor that BT won't update their own list and they haven't done so for 2.5 years which is a very long time in the mobile world. It is as if they could not care less about acquiring any customers. I think that sends me the appropriate message particularly coupled with the fact I tried to find out the same when last changing contracts in Oct/Nov 2019.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 17

My guess would be that if Wi-Fi calling works on your existing network then it will work on BT.

My phone is not on the BT list and the MyBT app says I don't have it but when I'm on a call at home it says BT Wi-Fi call in progress in the notification area

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Thanks for the help but that is exactly my point. BT can't be bothered with those of us who live in areas with a poor mobile signal. The information is confused and inconsistent. Considering the amount of junk mail I get about sim only contracts I'm amazed at their attitude.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 17

It's down to the firmware that your mobile has, see this  old thread for more information. BT don't update the list because phones supplied by them will allow wifi calling because of the firmware.

If your phone is/was on Vodafone then I think it's unlikely that you'll get wifi calling on BT/EE without flashing new firmware. An alternative is to ask BT about Signal Assist, it connects to your router and generates a 3G signal up to 15m. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

I guess that means that anyone(like me) who is on a SIM only contract can't switch to BT Mobile. At least it is now clear. Why the general announcement on this forum can't say that I've no idea. It can't be right for the BT note on this website to remain unchanged for 2+ years. It is also anything but clear on promotional material that BT sends out and on the marketing bit of its website.

I haven't got an iphone but the website at https://www.bt.com/mobile/wi-fi-calling says that any iphone will work with wifi calling whether bought from BT or not. It is more restrictive in its message about android phones. I'm left with the feeling that this i just a restrictive practice. Other major phone companies can manage it. The list on the message on this forum contains only phones more than 2.5 years old!

EE who I thought BT owned say the following about mobile models (this information is also out of date but a lot more promising than BT)

an EE pay monthly plan on one of these phones bought from any retailer*, including EE:

• Alcatel A3
  • Apple iPhone XS Max, XS, XR, X, 8 Plus, 8, 7 Plus, 7, SE, 6s Plus, 6s, 6 Plus, 6, 5s, 5c
  • BlackBerry Priv, Dtek 60, Dtek 50, KEYone
  • Google Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 2, Pixel XL, Pixel
  • HTC 10, U11, U11 Life
  • Huawei P10, P10 lite, P10 Plus, P smart, Mate 20 lite, P20 lite, P20 Pro, Mate 20 Pro, P30, P30 Pro, P20
  • Land Rover Explore
  • Microsoft Lumia 550, 650, 950 XL, Lumia 950
  • Motorola G7 Plus, G7 Power, G6 Play
  • Nexus 5X, 6P
  • Nokia 3, 5, 8, 7.1, 3.1
  • OnePlus 6T, 7 Pro
  • Oppo Reno
  • Samsung Galaxy S10e, S10+, S10, S9+, S9, A9, A8, A7, A6, J6+, J6, J4+, S8+, S8, S7 edge, S7, Note9, Note8, J5 (2017), J3 (2017), Xcover 4, A5 (2017), A3 (2017)
  • Sony Xperia X23, 10, L3, XZ2, XZ1, XZ1 Compact, XZ, XZ Premium, XA, X, X Compact, Z5, Z5 Compact, Z5 Premium, XA1, L1
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 10 of 17

That's true with the iPhone because they can't fiddle with it like they can with Android.

0 Ratings