Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
delpetra
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

1080p streams on the desktop player?

I've recently noticed that when you cast a BT Sport stream to a TV from a mobile device to a Chromecast, the stream is 1080p - however on the desktop site you can only stream in 720p. Why is this, and would it be possible to allow the user to manually choose what resolution they would like to view the stream in?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
twin1965
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: 1080p streams on the desktop player?

I believe the Google cast extention for Chrome is still experimental and only has a choice of 480p and 720p. Hopefully they are working on 1080p.
0 Ratings
delpetra
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Sorry, I didn't make it very clear. I'm just trying to watch the stream on my computer - not cast it or anything. My question was can we select 1080p quality on the website player.
0 Ratings
twin1965
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Ah, I see. The flash player doesn't have that option. The fact that you can't get a 1080 picture is an issue many of us have been having. The player is supposed to automatically set the video quality but it's not doing this effectively regardless of line speed. In effect the online player is rubbish! Like you, I too use my Chromecast. I'm not sure if BT are looking into this as they haven't made any comments despite many complaints.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

The web player and app are adaptive rate, but unless things work differently with Chromecast the streams are always unicast and the rate has always been specified by BT as between 0.4 and 3.5Mbps. That is not high enough for quality 1080 pictures.

For comparison the 1440x1080 multicast streams on BT TV use up to about 8Mbps, and the 1920x1080 broadcast streams on Sky satellite use about 13Mbps (even higher for action scenes when required).

Is it possible the Chromecast is just upscaling 576 or 720 to 'pretend' 1080?
0 Ratings