cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Access To B.T. Sport (Rugby)

Go to solution

I subscribe to BT Sport from a SKY platform (I have BT Broadband and SKY TV).  MY Main sporting interest is Rugby Union

Recently the use of BT Extra channels has been growing to the 'detriment' of BT1 BT2 and BT3.   It's becoming

usual to display one game on BT1,2 or 3 with others only on EXTRA (which cannot be recorded)

One would expect a subscription to BT Sport to enable the subscriber to watch all games shown but this is not possible when some games are shown on a BTExtra channel at exactly the same time.     Note: EXTRA  Channels cannot be recorded.

I recently had reason to access the BT app on my iphone and realised that many of the matches shown on BTExtra are

available to be viewed on this app (these of course are recordings) -- which one cannot do using TV from BTExtra channels !

I am a bit of a slow thinker but eventually found out that if I purchase an apple tv unit then I could Mirror the game when played on my iphone and watch it on my large screen TV.      Wow -Problem Solved !   Thanks BT....   Until

yesterday when I received a message when carrying out this exercise that BT is discontinuing access in this way by blocking this access.         (Something to do with scams their message VC585 reads !).

SO WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE ?    As a Rugby fan well into my 80th year am (was) I being too greedy in having the time and wishing to watch as many games as are shown by BT. 

I have an understandable and legally legitimate reason as a subscriber to watch all Rugby matches shown by BT who of course spend loads of money in doing this.

IS THERE AN ANSWER. ?        Please help an old doddering ex Rugby Player enjoy his last years wallowing in Rugby from

all corners of the Premiership and elsewhere        Dear BT       Please explain AND PROVIDE A SOLUTION......... PLEASE

(A life without Rugby is no life at all...........)

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: Access To B.T. Sport (Rugby)

Go to solution

Assuming your Apple TV isn't too old, you can install the BT Sport app directly onto it.  With it, you'll get a much better experience.  Simply use the App Store on the device to find the BT Sport app, and log in with the same account that you're logging into the app on your phone.

If your Apple TV is an older model (or a newer model, but you just don't like the Apple TV app), then instead of mirroring your screen, you can use Airplay - just launch the rugby match on your phone, select the standard player (if prompted), and then click the Airplay icon airplay.png in the top right corner of the player to send it to your device.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

Why is that those matches that are being shown on the Extra channels are not shown as reruns on the main channels overnight or on the app? Rights?  I assume these are extra picks only being shown due to the current situation and not explicitly covered by the broadcasting agreement with the RFU?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

@lavillegour1  If you subscribe to BT TV and Broadband you will receive a Youview box on which you are able to record the Extra channels. However you can only record 2 at a time and the commentators have the abhorrent practice of giving the scores of other matches during a game you are watching. They even show clips of tries too at times, most frustrating if you intend watching a parallel recording later.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution
Agree - Why not re-runs overnight when recording could be made.
How about it BT ?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks for response Darren.

BT's message indicates that they intend removing the ability to Mirror from 10th April. (So it is a considered action).

I have no way of knowing yet whether the use of Airplay will also be removed (and don't really understand the (illegal) access difference) presumably prompting (and said to be) the removal of Airplay.

ps Their message mentions the use of Chrome-cast but I really don't understand the difference between using Mirror/Airplay/Chromecast  if the reason is protecting from illegal access.

Nor do I understand why buying a chrome cast device is a better option.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

Investing in BT TV rather than SKY is too big a technical change that I don't want to make !

However ........ You have opened up a major bugbear that has been angering me for many years.

It seems that these Rugby matches are mostly there (apart from paying the players) to enable the

commentators to enhance and expand their job so that they become sort of gurus by showing portions

of matches being played at the same time AND giving scores as and when they change.

Am I wrong in assuming that where one can record matches MOST FANS  DO NOT WANT to know the results BEFORE the opportunity to watch the match. The commentators are ruining they paying customers enjoyment...

I am not a facebook or twitter user but would encourage any interested fan to get this complaint rolling on facebook where opinion not only would be heard but MY change their attitude (or NOT !)

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

It definitely is a considered action to disable screen mirroring - it's the first step towards enabling us to protect the video streams.

When you mirror your screen, the phone is responsible for all the security of playing the video stream but then it shares it unprotected. This allows people to copy the video stream and rebroadcast it illegally. It also uses a lot more battery power on your phone, transmits a lot more data on your WiFi network, and means you're more likely to see a degraded video.

When using Chromecast or Airplay, your phone is giving an instruction to the Chromecast or Airplay device to play the stream directly. This means it's responsible for the security of the video and can keep it 100% protected.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution
Thanks for the explanation Darren.
Any chance that you could recommend a Chromecast device ?
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution
Does Airplay to your Apple TV not work?
0 Ratings