cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Apple TV and BT Sport

Does anyone else have issues using the BT sport app on Apple TV? When watching live matches the quality drops really low to the point where you can’t make out anything on the screen and then it suddenly jumps back to HD for a couple mins before dropping again. It’ll fluctuate like this for a few minutes and then the video drops out to a point where I have to back out and select the match again. This isn’t the only issue though, I also have it where the video appears behind the audio on multiple occasions. This does not happen on any other apps such as live matches on NowTV and live tv on BBC iplayer 

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Apple TV and BT Sport

You're not alone with this issue, i was experiencing this for a period, and had to stop using my Apple TV 4K to watch BT Sport because it was unwatchable. Moments later, on a different device - same network, and viewing was back to the usual 1080p50 quality and nothing less.

There is definitely something wrong with the tvOS app, but ive raised this before and was dismissed sadly, and seemingly its continuing.

In the end, i went and got a Fire Stick 4K Max, and thats been pretty much flawless for alot of my viewing, but another device isn't always possible or the answer. Sadly, until the tvOS app is pulled apart and the issue found that's the causing it to go into mushy-vision, its going to be a pot-luck when using the tvOS-BT Sport app.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Ok, so I know I'm going to get accused of making excuses or passing the buck as always but ...
We have ZERO control of this. Apple makes all the decisions about what quality to show based on an algorithm that we cannot influence. We just tell it where to get the video from.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Far from it, i know how much of a pain Apple can be and how easily they seem to break things with OS updates, they're a pain in the ....It wasn't that long ago they broke iPlayer with tvOS 15 and had to wait for an update before it stopped playing live channels on a 2hr delay and actually live.

What can be done on BT's end (If anything and if you're able to talk about it)

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Thanks popeye, I believe it was your previous post that I found whilst searching to see if this was an actual issue that made me pose this question just to see if it still existed or was at least acknowledged as an issue. 

I’ll look into another device and perhaps go with an Amazon fire stick as that seems to tried and tested. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Just had a quick look at your recent experience @T-neal and it really is atrocious.  This is from 2 days ago:

DarrenDev_0-1650097347843.png

We'd normally expect the graph to stay at the top for most of the session, with the occasional slight drop.  Yours suddenly drops from top to bottom then slowly crawls back up again, and this happens constantly.  This would usually indicate an issue with your internet connection dropping out or being saturated.  Your broadband line is showing as stable, which leaves either WiFi signal or someone else on your broadband stealing all the bandwidth ... but then you say all other apps stream OK, so that leaves me out of ideas.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@DarrenDev thanks for looking, it really is mind boggling as I’ve disconnected all other devices from the Wi-Fi and verified this on the router GUI and this issue still persists so there’s definitely something going on. 

sat in the same location as the Apple TV the BT speed tests are suggesting I’m getting around 40 mb/s to my device so the bandwidth is definitely sufficient for live streaming. 

I’ll see what other devices support the BT sport app and go from there, just frustrating as like most id like just the single entertainment system for all the streaming apps there now are. 

0 Ratings