Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
saintmatt
Contributor
Message 1 of 34

Audio Cut Out on BT Sport HD Channels

Hi All,

Just a heads up to anyone who receives BT Sport on Youview via Infinity. I have my Youview box set to Surround under the options for HDMI audio (as it's connected to my AV amp). However, when watching the BT Sport channels, after a couple of minutes the audio cuts out. Happens every single time - if you change channels you'll get the audio back, but again, only for a couple of minutes.

The only way I have found to get around this is to switch the HDMI audio back to Stereo - this fixes the audio problems on BT Sport, but then I sacrifice 5.1 audio (although granted, such broadcasts are quite rare on Freeview).

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this problem, and if BT/Youview are aware of it.

0 Ratings
33 REPLIES 33
shepherdr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 34

Re: Audio Cut Out on BT Sport HD Channels

Yes I get this too. Sound drops out for 3-4 seconds then comes back or if I change channels. AV receiver (Onkyo) display also changes to say the box is not outputting a sound signal for those few seconds. Also happens if plugged straight to TV. Happens on my YouView from BT box and my BT Vision+ box. Only happens on the HD internet channels including BBC One HD, ITV HD and Channel 4 HD on the BT Vision box. BT Infinity 2 76MBit directly connected to HH4.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 34

Press AD on remote as this seems to fix it for a while. Other is to switch audio to stereo instead of surround in settings.

I think issue is with bt player as hd films also have issues when set to surround, but are fine if stereo, which is known issue.

Remember the internet channels use the bt player and thus reason are affected as normal hd broadcasts are fine

0 Ratings
shepherdr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 34

Yes setting the HDMI output to stereo fixes it. Haven't tried the SPDIF output as I don't have a cable - will get one though. My receiver can choose either HDMI or SPDIF for audio whilst still sending the picture over HDMI (I suspect most others can do too). I wasn't aware that the T1000 uses the BT player for the IPTV channels in the guide. I thought the boxe's native firmware handled this (with the BT layer just doing the initial authentication). It would make sense though if it was BTs software as I don't get signal drop out with DTT channels when set to surround. Also have to say I have never had sound drop outs when watching VOD on either the Vision+ box or YouView.

0 Ratings
shepherdr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 34

Setting HDMI to Surround and SPDIF to stereo also seems to have fixed the drop outs on IPTV channels whilst still outputting the desired Surround sound over HDMI. Can anyone confirm this? i.e. the HDMI drop outs only occur when both HDMI and SPDIF are set to surround.

I found this BT page

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40439/~/can-i-get-surround-sound-from-bt-vision%3F

This does mention Youview put is primarily a page for Vision+ boxes and includes the following statement

"Please note that using the SPDIF in surround sound mode will mute the audio output on the HD cable."

0 Ratings
saintmatt
Contributor
Message 6 of 34

Tried setting SPDIF to stereo and leaving HDMI as surround, but still had the same problem during last night's "Life's A Pitch" on 1HD (excellent show by the way!)
0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 7 of 34

Thanks for flagging folks. We’re aware of this issue impacting a small number of users and have raised to YouView for diagnosis and fix. Whilst this is in progress, please make use of the workaround of setting audio output to stereo. Thanks for your patience whilst we work on this.

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
paulontoast
Beginner
Message 8 of 34

I have this problem too, it's very annoying! I am using an Onkyo 577 AV receiver and have tried both HDMI and Optical but the issue is the same.

I first noticed problems when I tried playing an HD on-demand film, all I would get is the spinning Vision triangle on the screen. This has been discussed here: http://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/No-HD-movies-play-at-the-moment-on-BT-Ap/td-p/896588 and apparently you can toggle the "Surround/Stereo" setting to get it working. Sadly I wasted over an hour on the phone to Vision support trying to fix this until I realised what the issue was.

When the sound cuts out you can see the amp stops receiving the Dolby Digital+ signal, so this looks like some sort of negotiation issue between the YouView box and Onkyo amps. I hope they fix it too, because I keep telling my friends to switch from Sky to BT (like I just did) and how great it works.

0 Ratings
paulontoast
Beginner
Message 9 of 34

I should add that it only affects the channels delivered over the Internet for me (BT Sport HD, ESPN HD), the normal freeview channels work fine.

0 Ratings
ianether
Contributor
Message 10 of 34

And me. Every 60 seconds broadband TV audio cuts out momentarily.
0 Ratings