cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

BT SPORT HD RIP OFF

So, I have BT sport with BT and watch through Sky. I only pay for standard definition and see that it is an extra £6.50 a month to upgrade to HD. Why is this extra when if I watch online I can watch in HD as standard so I just connect my laptop to my TV if there is something I want to watch. Surely the service should be the same whatever you watch on

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT SPORT HD RIP OFF

I have BT Sport on Sky with the HD pack. I always assumed at least part, if not all, of that £6.50 charge, was down to Sky. We're talking about the same Sky that charge for HD access to freeview channels that are free to air in HD already.

The only excuse I can think of is that HD requires more data and data is more expensive to broadcast over satellite than it is via land broadband. BT owns their own broadband infrastructure, but presumably has to pay Sky for access to the Sky platform.

It's a completely wild guess though, so could be well off the mark.

Whatever the reason, I've always found the folks at BT really good with me on my package. I just re-contract the BT Sport with HD package very 24 months and usually get a decent discount off it all. I know not everyone wants to be constantly tied into a 24 month contract, but I know I'm going to want it for the next 24 months anyway, so it doesn't bother me and I'm happy to take the saving, which makes it more palatable.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT SPORT HD RIP OFF

That does seem a bit high when the HD add-on with BT directly costs £5 per month, and that gets you all of the NowTV channels (of which I only take the Sports package anyway) and BT Sport in HD (plus Eurosport, as that's recently been added back to the Sports pack).  And I I took up the Big Sports package when it was being offered at £5 per month discount for the duration of the 24 month contract, so is effectively free for me anyway (depending on how you want to look at it)!

0 Ratings