Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TALON1973
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

BT Sport 4K hdr and 4K on devices question

First time poster....

im on the max 4K package

How can I tell if HDR is playing on sport on channel 433 ?  On every other device / app I use , if hdr or dv is playing it triggers a logo on my tv. But help desk says I’ve got it..... but I can’t tell .

also when is 4k coming to devices like Apple TV?

Thanks

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT Sport 4K hdr and 4K on devices question

Hi @TALON1973 

My understanding is this, Ch 433 is 4k only as the T4000 STB is not (yet?) capable of HDR. If you have a Samsung smart TV you can download the BT Sport app and you can get BT Sport in HDR (only on designated broadcasts though) that way, but it won't be in 4k.

With the BT Sport app, it will show the HDR logo only if the programme you want to watch is in HDR, and only if your device is compatible. The HDR logo doesn't appear on the screen during viewing, just on the page where you select to stream, if that makes sense. 

0 Ratings
stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 14

None of the current YouView boxes are HDR compatible, so you are not missing anything, it simply can't do it.

Some other posters have suggested a new HDR capable box is on the way but we do not have any confirmed timescales.

The last talk I saw on this forum relating to the 4K channel being available through Apple TV suggested later this year. 

0 Ratings
TALON1973
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

Well the bit fault guy insisted I have it. He said if the ultimate logo is on the screen then I have hdr. Which goes against everything else I have in 4k hdr / dv.  I have. 4k LG oled btw.

i was also assured my box does do hdr. I’ve only had it a month.

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 14

I think that you have been given wrong information by BT, you're not the first either.

This thread may help, it should take you to Page 6 where there are some clear replies.

0 Ratings
TALON1973
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

I can’t seem to reply in that topic. So is aptv 4k hdr or not ? I’m not putting it into 1080p as the app suggests.
0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 14

That thread was closed because it was specific to that UEFA game, but on Page 6 there's this:

"Where to get HDR - HDR has been launched on capable devices for iOS, Android, Apple TV, and Samsung TV. We are working on getting it launched on our other platforms

4K - We are working on launching 4K for our large screen apps and will do on a per platform basis when it's ready

TV box - not currently HDR capable as you say so can only get 4K. Looking at getting this into a new box in due course"

Apps are not 4k but can do HDR depending upon device and of course it being a HDR broadcast.

The 4k Box is 4k only, not HDR.

0 Ratings
BT Sport Expert
BT Sport Expert
Message 8 of 14

Hi Talon1973 - no Apple TV app is not 4K at present. It is HDR only (during HDR events).

Channel 433 on the Set Top Box is 4K, but not HDR.

Sorry if you've been given other incorrect info!

BT Sport expertKitH
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Sport queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice and help, where I can, on BT Sport queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
TALON1973
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

KitH , how am I supposed to know when a hdr even is on via the Apple TV app ? And surly you don’t expect me to change settings from my 4k preference just to play 1080p hdr ? Or will it auto play ?
0 Ratings
BT Sport Expert
BT Sport Expert
Message 10 of 14

Any event that is shot in HDR will be shown in HDR on the Apple TV app. Things like Premier League, home Champions League games you can expect to be in HDR. You'll know the game is in HDR because the tile on the app will have an HDR logo on it.

You need to be on the 1080p setting to watch in HD HDR on the Apple TV. If you're on the 4K setting it won't play out HDR. I know this isn't ideal and 4K HDR is something we're working on, but haven't cracked just yet.

BT Sport expertKitH
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Sport queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice and help, where I can, on BT Sport queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings