cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

BT Sport App NowTV 4K/HDR

Recently upgraded my mother's BT TV package to VIP and use a NowTV box on a 2nd TV using the account however the ' Device Checker' is stating her account is not setup for 4K or HDR and that an upgrade to BT Sport Ultimate is required, this setup used to work just fine on my old BT account.

Spoken to BT via web chat and they don't seem to have a clue so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance 👍

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT Sport App NowTV 4K/HDR

Hi @LeafCutter welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. 
Does your mother's broadband have a minimum guaranteed speed of 44Mbs or above? 

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Thanks for the reply John,

Yes her broadband is faster than 44Mbps on the downstream, I believe the issue is with her BT ID account.

Using the 'Device Checker' (within the BT Sport App) I can see her account is not setup for BT Sport Ultimate when it should be as we upgraded to BT TV VIP.

IMG_20210301_154339.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

The VIP package comes in 2 flavours behind the scenes - HD, or 4K. When ordering VIP, you'll be given HD or 4K depending on the speed of the broadband line at the time. If the line wasn't at a stable 44Mbps at the time, then the account will have been put on the HD package.
If you're confident that the line is capable, then give us a call and ask to be switched to the 4K version. There's no difference in price, and you won't need to recontract for it. You should be told on the phone straight away if this isn't possible.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Thanks for the reply Darren.

I suspect we are pushing close to the 44Mbps so that could well be the cause as you've explained.

I'll call up and ask to be switched to the 4K VIP package if it's possible on our broadband product.

Kind regards.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Observation  .. irrespective of whether the package is VIP HD or VIP 4K  the  device checker for the BT Sport App should indicate that the subscription level is suitable for  BT Sport Ultimate.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

We deal in subscription codes at this end @zulu17 - so adding the VIP package to an account results in a number of different subscription codes being added to the account that turn on and off certain features across BT systems. I'd need to check the specific account, but I have a strong suspicion that the code that turns on Ultimate in the app is the same code that turns on Ultimate on the set top box.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

I had the same issue back in September when I upgraded our BT Sport app to be able to watch BT Sport Ultimate on the Fire TV 4K stick. Having been involved in the trials for this device over the summer, I knew perfectly well that our line speed was capable of delivering, and I was willing to pay the extra £5, as I watch enough football and rugby to justify it.

I was confronted with the dreaded red crosses on our account on the 4K and HDR boxes on my device. Unfortunately it meant that we were paying for the upgrade, but were unable to access BT Sport Ultimate. Despite a couple of lengthy phone conversations with the support team in Newcastle, it seemed that no one had the answer.

I posted on this forum, and Moderator John picked up my issue and was able to get the matter resolved by liaising with the BT Sport app team. John arranged for us to be compensated for the period that we were unable to access BT Sport Ultimate. I was somewhat disappointed to read that another forum member is having a similar experience to the one that I endured last September.

Message 9 of 14

@DarrenDev - Would it be possible for you to check the account for us?

I have spoken to someone at BT however not sure the issue has been understood and the issue still remains on the account.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

No problem @LeafCutter - send me a DM with the BT ID being used