cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

BT Sport App Only Questions

Go to solution

Can anyone who has the app only version of BT Sport, (ie no BT TV boxes), answer the following please?

1.) Does the basic app, without any add-ons, automatically stream at the very best possible quality depending upon the download speed available? ie is the basic app capped at SD/HD quality and you have to pay the £5 extra to get it in HD/ UHD? (UHD assuming that the app is installed on a suitable device).

2.) On the BT Sport app, is HD 720p or 1080p? Is UHD, (if available), 2160p?

3.) Can the app be used on multiple devices concurrently? (Again, subject to available download bandwidth). Or, do you have to pay an extra £5 Extra Room fee for multiple devices/streams?

I currently have BT Sport, (£15/month), HD @ £5 and Extra Box @ £5. I very rarely use the boxes to record, and already have suitable Android devices, so I'm thinking that I could save myself £10 per month and reduce the box count?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Sport App Only Questions

Go to solution

There are actually 2 BT Sport "app only" packages available - one with BT Broadband for £15 a month, and one with no other requirements (the "monthly pass") for £25 a month.

I know for sure that the £25 option gives you access to BT Sport Ultimate, but I'm not sure about the £15 one.  I'm trying to get an answer on that, so I'll hold off on answering #1.

#2 HD means up to 1080p if the device supports it (depending on screen resolution, and available bandwidth).  Ultimate is up to 2160p, but again depending on device.

#3 The app can be installed and used on as many devices as you like. There's a limit of watching any of the live streams on a maximum 2 devices at the same time, but all the replays, highlights, and clips can be consumed without restriction.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

I’ve got BT Broadband with BT Sport app only. I pay an extra £5 per month to get BT Sport Ultimate.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution
Just to clarify, I’m paying an extra £5 to get BT Sport Ultimate, but if you don’t pay that, the streams are up to 1080p depending device. i.e you are paying extra for Ultimate, not HD.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

@DarrenDev  @Brucemeister5 

Thanks to both for your replies. I think that Brucemeister5's second post answers the point that DarrenDev was seeking clarification on - or have I misunderstood?

So to confirm my understanding: I can pay £15 per month, have BT Sport running concurrently on 2 different devices at up to 1080p resolution on both provided  that I also take BT Broadband. Alternatively, I can pay £25 and have 2 concurrent streams at up to UHD 2160p on both and have my broadband service supplied by anyone other than BT? (Assuming sufficient download bandwidth for both feeds).

The equipment that I would be using the app on are a Sony Android 4K 2160p UHD (Main TV) and a Chromecast with Google TV 2020 in the bedroom connected to a TV with a 1080p screen. My existing BT broadband syncs at the maximum 80mb download available on my package.

Incidentally, I have already asked these and my previous questions of BT's telephone helpdesk, but they weren't really sure - I have got clearer answers on this thread - as I expected TBH!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
All correct @Paul608085 (I've since managed to confirm this on our ordering system).

So with BT Broadband:
£15 a month for BT Sport in up-to HD
£20 a month for BT Sport in up-to UHD
Without BT Broadband:
£25 a month for BT Sport in up-to UHD

Please note:
* UHD is only available on selected events
* HD is up-to 1080p50 on the main BT Sport channels, and up-to 720p25 on the others

Note: I'm not surprised at the lack of clarity from the helpdesk on the app-only (with BT broadband) subscription option - this isn't something I was even aware we had.
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

@DarrenDev  @Brucemeister5 

Thanks again both of you for your replies - I am  now completely clear on the options available to me. 😀

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

We’ve had BT Broadband for several years, and I’d been using the BT Sport app ONLY since Day 1 of BT Sport. I was involved with the trial of the Amazon Fire tv Stick 4 K last summer, and when it was launched fully to all last September, I phoned up to upgrade to BT Sport Ultimate. I had a very frustrating time initially as the upgrade had not been applied to our account properly, and I was paying for something that I could not access, even though, having been involved in the trial, I knew that I could. It was only after asking for help on here that a moderator took up my case and after liaising with the BT Sport app team, managed to get the matter resolved. I get the feeling that I’m one of a very select band in paying for BT Sport app only on BT broadband, with the BT Sport Ultimate upgrade. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Just one more question on this please:

Is the £15 per month app only option on a monthly rolling contract or do you have to sign up for 24 months (?) to get this? (I believe that the £25 one is a rolling monthly/30 day one?).

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

I believe that you will need to commit to a 24 month contract to get the £15 per month BT Sport app only with BT broadband. As a legacy customer it doesn’t apply to me, and I’m month by month and currently pay £14 +£5 for Ultimate upgrade. I believe that the Ultimate upgrade would be month by month for you though if you went for that option.

0 Ratings