Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Kendo88
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

BT Sport App for Apple TV

The app on Apple TV does not respect range and frame rate match settings.

my Apple TV is set to output 4K HDR 50hz. With this setting, every video or stream played on the app, even though it is SDR source, Apple TV outputs HDR. The app should be switching the Apple TV output from SDR to HDR and visa versa depending on the source but instead it’s just fixed. This will be a major problem when HDR streams become more common on BT sport, so this needs fixing fairly fast

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Sport App for Apple TV

There was quite a lot of chat on the net about the optimum settings for an Apple TV 4K when it first came out, but after a subsequent update introduced the "Match Content" setting, many (including myself), feel that the following are the best settings to adopt, although I accept picture quality is very personal:

Apple TV settings.jpgApple TV settings

The first thing to note is that the Apple TV 4K home screen isn't in HDR, it's SDR, so using the 4K SDR as a base setting ensures you get the truest visual.

HDMI Output and Chroma will depend on how fast your cable is I guess, but the most important setting is to change Match Content to "Range & Frame Rate".

This means that the Apple TV will then adapt the picture quality correctly depending on the stream, rather than trying to upscale everything to HDR as your current setting will do.

You play something on 4K Ultra HD with HDR, that's what you get, play Dolby Vision, that's what you get and when you are not, it reverts back to 4K SDR in the main menus because that is what the Apple TV puts out natively. 

What did concern me about the BT Sport trial in HDR for the final was the app asked you to go into the Apple TV settings and change the output to 1080p HDR. You should not have to do this, the stream should tell the Apple TV in the meta data what it contains and then using the settings above ensures the correct resolution is displayed.

0 Ratings
Kendo88
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Yes, that is exactly my point. Regardless of whether I have it set to HDR like I do, or whether it’s SDR like you say, it will still cause a problem with the BT Sport app, as the app does not respect the match range and frame rate toggle. With my setting, HDR content from BT will be displayed fine, but SDR will not as the ATV will continue to output HDR.

with your settings, standard SDR streams from BT will be fine, but you won’t receive the HDR stream at all.

regardless of preference of settings, the issue is with the BT Sport app

0 Ratings
stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

@Kendo88wrote:

regardless of preference of settings, the issue is with the BT Sport app

I made that very point in my last sentence.

The rest of my reply was simply pointing out that the Match Content setting was vital and that using 4K HDR as a base setting was a personal choice but a bit of a waste as all of the menus on the Apple TV are in SDR. 

0 Ratings
Kendo88
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Yeah I know you made the point. Thanks for confirming my original post and point that you are experiencing same problem as the issue is app side and not related to settings or individual set ups