cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 30

BT Sport App freezes when watching live stream on an ACER ACTAB1021 tablet

Go to solution

Recently bought an ACER ACTAB1021 and installed the BT App.  Live streaming works perfectly over wifi via home broadband.  When using my mobile phone as a hotspot and connecting it to the tablet the app constantly freezes whilst trying to live stream.  Audio is unaffected.  Tablet runs Android 10. 

I have contacted BT Sport App helpline who say there is " no known issue and could be the bandwidth".... I've run speed test on the mobile device I use to hotspot and it's over 40Mbps which is more than enough. Have tried to hotspot on another device and still the app freezes when trying to watch live sport.  

This makes me think the App can't cope when being streamed over a hotspot?

App works fine using my mobile phone. App is up to date and the Acer tab software is up to date. Have toggled with the only setting available in the app on the tablet for streaming and none of them make a difference.

I'd be glad to hear if anyone else has had the same issue and has solved it or if anyone has any advice please!

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30

Re: BT Sport App freezes when watching live stream on an ACER ACTAB1021 tablet

Go to solution
That's a strange one. The app can't tell the difference between a broadband WiFi connection and a mobile hot spot. You say that the mobile is able to stream fine, which suggests the connection is fast enough - it's the exact same stream for both mobile and tablet versions of the app.
Are you using the standard or enhanced player when watching from your Acer tablet? Did you always select this same option when running your tests? Some devices struggle to keep up with the demands that the enhanced player put on it so can stutter a lot. I wouldn't expect the standard player to behave any differently regardless of device or connection type - and definitely never play an audio-only stream with no video.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 30

Go to solution

Thanks for coming back to me.

It definitely is a strange one!

I hope that any other owners of the same tablet can get in touch. 

I can watch live football on the Sky Go and Amazon Prime apps as well as films etc with no problem.

Have logged my account in to a Samsung Galaxy tab and the app works perfectly. 

I had only tried to watch live sport on the app...at first it plays for a few moments then freezes but the audio carries on.

What I hadn't tried was watching programmes on BT Sport that weren't live.

Just tried and they freeze as well!? Exact same issue as with live streaming. 

The only settings you have within the BT App on the tablet is "Stream up to HD" . You can choose "off, on, WiFi only". All three produce the same result...freezes but audio ok? 

Does the BT Sport app have some kind of conflict with this particular tablet do you think?

Help!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 30

Go to solution
OK yes, so definitely an issue with your tablet not liking our video player.
I'm going to need to get a logging build of the app to you so that I can find the exact cause of failure. I'm not back at work until Jan 5th, so I'm afraid it'll be after then. I'll send you a DM to confirm details.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 30

Go to solution

No problem Darren.

Thanks for your help. Hopefully we can figure out the issue in the New Year. 

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 30

Go to solution

Are there any memory intensive apps running in the background ? perhaps an AV program or some of the useless junk apps that OEMs' tend to clutter the Android OS with

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 30

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply.

No apps running in the background only the BT app running.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 30

Go to solution

Happy New Year Darren.

Just wondered if you had an update on this one please?

Cheers

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 30

Go to solution
Not yet @MSH11 - it'll most likely be later this week. Lots to catch up on after my holiday, and we have a big app update coming later this month that is keeping us all very busy.
Message 10 of 30

Go to solution
Hi,
Just wondered if there eas an update?
Cheers
0 Ratings