Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mallett94
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

BT Sport App needs an update on Android & iOS

Please can the BT Sport app on Android and iOS be updated to cast the 1080 50fps stream to the Gen 3 Chromecast. Thanks.

More details below -->

I did some extensive testing last night using 2 Gen 3 Chromecasts, a Gen 2 Chromecast and both the Android and iOS versions of the BT Sport App.

No matter which version of the Chromecast you have, the BT Sport App on Android and iOS are both sending only the 25 FPS stream. It is 1080 (as far as I can tell) and still is good quality. But it's not the best quality.

If you have a Gen 3 Chromecast or the Ultra, if you cast a BT Sport tab from the Google Chrome web browser on a laptop or desktop computer, and fullscreen the video so that it gets pushed directly to the Chromecast, you get the full 1080 50fps stream. The quality of this is unbelievable. I actually believe that the picture quality using this method is better than the 1080i50 (still 25fps) broadcast through the Youview boxes.

If you try to cast a BT sport chrome tab to the Gen 2 or Gen 1 Chromecast, when it fully buffers in it will try to handle the 1080/50 content, but it doesn't have the bandwidth to do so. The result is it stutters for a few seconds and then reverts back to a normal tab mirroring cast mode.

It seems the BT Sport app doesn't currently have the ability to detect which version of the Chromecast it is communicating with. I suggest that this functionality is added so then the app can send the best quality stream to the relevant version of the Chromecast.

I might also go one step further and suggest that if the Chromecast is a Gen 1 or 2, the user is provided with an option to use either the 1080 25fps stream, or a 720 50 FPS version (if one exists?).

I think the BT sport app is great and have been using it in conjunction with Chromecast since I got a Gen 1 in 2014. If the relevant parties, mods or BT Sport Experts on the forums could raise these suggestions to the app development team, it really would be a good improvement.

Cheers.
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Sport App needs an update on Android & iOS

TBH if I was using my laptop at home to view BT Sport video then rather than cast to my main TV I would connect it up using the HDMI cable I have to hand.
0 Ratings
Mallett94
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

That is of course an option. Do you not think though that it would be much more convenient to be able to just click a couple of buttons and sent it wirelessly? Save you having to play around with plugging and unplugging cables etc? You would also be able to continue using your laptop at the same time.

The point still stands though that the app needs updating to allow the casting of the 50fps stream.
0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 5

Using the second screen option on the laptop means I can continue using it for other things while streaming.
0 Ratings
Mallett94
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Again I agree that this is something you could do. But I don't think it's overly convenient to have to have a really long hdmi cable lying about the place. This would also greatly restrict the amount you could move about with said laptop haha!

Each to their own of course, but with the Gen 3 Chromecast down to £20 for Black Friday, I think it's a no brainer really.
0 Ratings