cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

BT Sport Concurrent Users

Hoping someone can clarify for me.  I have BT Fibre broadband, BT TV and BT Sport.  I'm confused about the number of simultaneous users/devices.

Does BT Sport have a limit of registered devices?

I tend to watch BT Sport on my BT TV box connected to my TV.

But occasionally, depending who else is using the TV, I also watch on my laptop or my iPhone.

My son would like to watch in his bedroom, either on his laptop or Android phone, but he also has a chromecast attached to his TV, so I'm guessing he could cast to his TV that way.

Not knowing what the rules are, I don't want to just try it in case I exceed the number of devices and can't change for 30 days.

So ... would all these devices be "registered" if we used them all over time (not all at the same time, obviously)?

If my son were to cast from the BT Sport App on his phone to his chromecast, would that count as 2 streams and prevent me watching on my BT TV box at the same time?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Sport Concurrent Users

this may help  probably others if you try search

https://community.bt.com/t5/Broadband-Extras-Apps-from-BT/BT-TV-DEVICE-LIMIT-TO-2/td-p/1812558

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 13

Hi @ploppy 

In thre sceanio you describe

So long as your son uses the BT Sport App  then it should be fine. You viewing the Bt Sport Tv channels on your BT TV (Youview) set top box does not count as a use of the BT Sport App.

If he were to use the BT TV App then that would eat into your registered devices for that BT TV app so make sure he uses the right app.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Doesn't answer the chromecast question unfortunately.
0 Ratings
Expert
Message 5 of 13

You would cast from the BT Sport App to your Chromecast device. So your son would be using the app

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Thanks but do you know if him using the BT Sport App and casting it to chromecast counts as 2 streams? Because if it does that would prevent me using my phone/laptop at the same time (for when my wife wants the TV).
0 Ratings
Expert
Message 7 of 13

It would count as 1 stream as whatever device your son is hosting the app on counts. The app will relay the stream to Chromecast for displaying on the big screen

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Sorry - didn't understand that at all. Could you reword it please.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 13

It would be one stream.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

That's not how chromecast works though.  The stream doesn't go to the phone first, for the phone to "relay" the stream to the TV.  When you cast to chromecast, the phone hands over responsibility to the chromecast, and the chromecast takes over the streaming of the content.  That's why it counts as a separate device.

0 Ratings