cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BT Sport Monthly Pass Ultimate 4K HDR Picture Freeze on 4K Firestick

Getting around 36Mbps from my BT Line

Watching BT Sport Ultimate on my 4K Firestick with the latest version 1.03, the picture keeps freezing for about 5 seconds at a time with the “loading message” on screen ?  Understood it should work fine provided you had at least 30Mbps ?

Also were yesterdays Ultimate games broadcast in Dolby Atmos as my soundbar didn’t display Atmos for either game ?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Sport Monthly Pass Ultimate 4K HDR Picture Freeze on 4K Firestick

It needs about 30mb - so running tight on 36mb as anything else using the internet at the same time will reduce the available bandwidth.

Dispite what BT say - most of the Premier League coverage has NOT been in Atmos recently.

@Xrkt77wrote:

Getting around 36Mbps from my BT Line

Watching BT Sport Ultimate on my 4K Firestick with the latest version 1.03, the picture keeps freezing for about 5 seconds at a time with the “loading message” on screen ?  Understood it should work fine provided you had at least 30Mbps ?

Also were yesterdays Ultimate games broadcast in Dolby Atmos as my soundbar didn’t display Atmos for either game ?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

I don’t get any buffering/freezing from Netflix or Apple TV 4K HDR/Dolby Vision Dolby Atmos sources.

I guess they must use a more efficient streaming Codec, wonder if BT will be using a different codec anytime soon ?

I would get my speed increased but 38Mbps is the max I can get.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Netflix streams at a maximum of around 15Mpbs - the quality of BT's Ulitmate channel is better. Sport usually needs more bandwidth.

@Xrkt77wrote:

I don’t get any buffering/freezing from Netflix or Apple TV 4K HDR/Dolby Vision Dolby Atmos sources.

I guess they must use a more efficient streaming Codec, wonder if BT will be using a different codec anytime soon ?

I would get my speed increased but 38Mbps is the max I can get.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

BT Sport Ultimate streams using the latest codecs, and is the first live channel in the world to stream 4K HDR video with Dolby Atmos audio.

That is irrelevant though - the stream is delivered using ABR which means the device should pick a quality level that the device and network can sustain. Buffering should be a rare occurrence, and only caused by a fluctuation in conditions (e.g. sudden drop in available bandwidth).
We've yet to work out why, but the quality selection algorithm doesn't appear to work for some users, causing excess buffering. We are actively investigating this and hope to have a fix in the new year.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Ok thanks for replying, hopefully the buffering/freezing will be resolved in the new year.

0 Ratings