cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanW90
Beginner
Message 1 of 23

BT Sport Stream Unwatchable (Stuttering)

Hi,

I have a 300Mbps FTTH connection and watch BT sport in the browser. I only watch MotoGP, and I plug my laptop in to the TV and watch it, seeing as the cast to chromecast icon has now disappeared since last season (thanks BT).

The stream is unwatchable in any way, shape or form. I have tried using two different MacBook Pro's, and a gaming PC. All have been tried using both wi-fi AND ethernet directly in to the router. I've tried using Chrome and Safari on both Mac and Windows. The same problem on every single one: I get about 30 seconds of stream, then it pauses for 10 seconds, then it picks up where it left off, then jumps ahead 10 seconds - repeat every minute.

Netflix HD - no problem, iPlayer at 1080 - no problem, downloading a 30GB game in half an hour - no problem. The most infuriating thing, is if I type "BT Sport 2 stream" in to Google, and watch any of the pirated streams at low quality, they stream constantly with no problem, apart from the annoying ads.

Why is it that my extortionate bill of line rental, FTTH and BT Sport 2 - all of which are paid to BT - aren't enough to simply let me watch MotoGP without it stuttering CONSTANTLY? If I can't resolve it during this season of MotoGP I think I'll just move to a different ISP and use the pirated streams.

Anyone had anything similar and resolved it? I'm losing my mind just trying to watch something I pay about £55 a month for.

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23

Re: BT Sport Stream Unwatchable (Stuttering)

Agree wholeheartedly with you. I tried to watch the Wasps/ Saints rugby between 3pm and 5pm and this too was unwatchable due to juddery pictures or complete stops whilst it catches up. If this is the norm I shall stop my £5 /mo which I pay for the privilege of having BT Sport

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 23

DanW90 wrote:

the cast to chromecast icon has now disappeared since last season

The stuttering problem has afflicted some customers ever since BT Sport online began using Flash Player last August. The only effective solution has been Chromecast, which still works with BTS. The app's name is now Google Cast and you may need to install that to get the icon to show.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 23

Absolutely appalling buffering during the Moto GP race this evening!! Missed a lot of the last few laps and most of the last lap when the two Ducatis went down.
And last night got up at 2.00 am to watch the Indycar race... Saw the first few laps and then kicked out. Could sign in again as that part of the BT site seemed to be shut down for "routine maintenance"! If it was routine then why wasn't it flagged up to users in advance by email! I then wouldn't have bothered getting up at 2.00 in the morning!
I'm using the BTSports app to Chromecast it to my TV. As others have said, no problems (usually) with iPlayer or Amazon, although they do occasionally buffer.
Obviously a lack of investment in the infrastructure needed to provide a decent service. I would complain, but I can't get past the usual FAQ barrier to find an email or a number to speak to someone in India.
Absolute rubbish!
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 23

I have to agree, this whole thing is ridiculous. Can't stream anything on the BT Sport website without constant stuttering and interuptions which is beyond a joke. I have a wired Fibre Optic connection and every other website I stream on, be it Sky, BBC, ITV, etc all work fine. BT stops every 2 mins. Poor show. I've had enough.

I think I am not alone in preparing to cancel my subscription. I knew I shouldn't have trusted BT again, they always were useless in the past when it was just landline and internet - why I thought they'd be capable of running a successful TV operation too is beyond me.

Always thought I looked good in a pirate costume anyway. Neville and Carragher, I apologise and shall make my return!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 23

Same here. My internet/computer combination can stream video from Sky, BBC, YouTube etc. The only thing it can't do is stream from BT. The obvious conclusion is that the BT Sport Stream is a waste of space. I had to watch the Indy 500 on a third party stream of the BT Sport feed - amateurs are able to do a better job than a multi-billion pound business with huge resources. Does anyone from BT wish to answer why that is the case?

0 Ratings
MarkyC73
Beginner
Message 7 of 23

I had the same issue using Firefox.

I switched to Chrome and it seems to have resolved the issue.

Still not HD, though, even though BT Sport 1 is streaming the 1HD service. 😞

But at least it's now smooth.

0 Ratings
Sluggie6883
Message 8 of 23

I have this same problem and was wondering if I just bought a youview box could I just start watching it
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 23

Nope. You'll need a BTTV subscription, plus your exchange needs to be multicast enabled, and you'll need a speed of at least 6mbps to stream BT Sports.

0 Ratings
Lucastavrou
Beginner
Message 10 of 23

Did anyone manage to find a solution?

I am getting around 70-80MBps on my fibre line and i am trying this on multiple android devices.

All seems ok before the picture has buffered and is still pixelated. As soon as the stream clears and becomes more HD looking, The stuttering starts. 

And the stuttering never ends!!!

All other streams, Netflix, Amazon, BBC Iplayer...etc all work absolutely fine. I am paying for 2 BT fibre lines and 2 BT Sport packages. This issue alone makes me want to cancel it all.

Is there a way to trick the browser so that i can watch the stream through their website, at the moment it detects i am using an android device. But is there a way to confuse it so that i can try  the stream through the website instead of this god awful app

0 Ratings