cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 13

Re: BT Sport and Smart TV

ChrisR6262,

It sounds like you have pretty much tried every approach. Very interesting what you say about side loading the BT Sport app onto a Fire TV stick. As you point out though, not without its problems. You have to get the app from somewhere other than the official device app store and BT are never going to officially support that or even check that it runs ok. There is also no guarantee it won't stop working tomorrow due to some change to the streams.

I also totally agree about the different picture quality. The quality using different devices can vary and using the unicast streams is always going to be the poor relative compared to using the multicast streams on a BT TV box. I'm lucky enough to have a fast Infinity broadband connection and I've used a BT TV box for years and the multicast streams (both SD and HD) are excellent quality and tune in almost instantly just like the Freeview broadcast channels. I can also record BT Sport programmes just like on any other channel. Whenever I've tried the web player or Android app I'm faced with that bleeping spinning icon, lock-ups, errors, or if I'm lucky eventually a picture of dubious quality. A much worse experience all round.

If a customer wants an experience similar to sports channels on satellite or cable TV then BT TV is definitely the way to go. Not the very cheapest method of course, but you get what you pay for.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 13

ChrisR6262,

Talk to the Customer Options Team on 0800 800 030 once you are approaching completion of your BT TV contract minimum term. You don't have to re-contract as your current contract won't stop, but it can sometimes pay to do so.

I was on TV Essential @ £5 and last Aug re-contracted for another minimum of 12 months on TV Essential @ £2 for 12 months, then £5 from month 13. Hopefully by month 13 I will have re-contracted again on a new discounted deal.
0 Ratings
Woodford
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 13

Thanks you all for the very helpful replies.  I've only today picked up all the messages since none came through my normal email route.  I must have failed to tick the box asking for replies to my inbox.

Anyway, the solution for me was to buy a Chromecast dongle.  I plugged this into the back of the TV in the HDM2 port and downloaded the app on my Asus tablet and followed the instructions.  Amazingly (to me anyway) it all worked fine  and I was able to watch an afternoon of sport in great clarity and in full screen.

I don't think that I'll bother trying to connect my laptop for now but might try this later.  Unfortunately this doesn't have an HDMI port so I'll have to fiddle with that as well but guess that if I download the Chromecast app then it will be just added to the network.

Still I'll think about that later.  Meanwhile I've got where I want to be so thanks to all who helped.

Steve

0 Ratings