cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 11 of 39

Re: BT Sport app launches on new platforms in time for the start of the new season

@DarrenDevIt's interesting that other streaming apps like Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Youtube etc don't make use of this feature. Instead they just let consumers watch 24p content with 3:2 pulldown judder. Luckily for me I can set Motionflow to True Cinema and Film mode High to perform reverse telecine and then apply 5:5 pulldown.

I don't mind the blank screen for a flash of a second whilst the HDMI handshake is redone. Others don't liek it though but probably beassue they don't know (or care) why it happens.

If I deem that the app is correctly engaging 100hz mode of my TV, that will mean I have a Chromecast Gen 3 and Chromecast Ultra to re-purpose somewhere for something :')

@ozsat I'll have a listen to it this evening. It's probably the first thing I will try with my new toy I'm picking up after work. Steel Series Artcis Pro Wireless. I've just moved to an apartment, my flatmates bedroom is right next to where my TV is and my soundbar and wireless sub have gone in the living room with an inferior TV to mine. Looking forward to having virtual surround sound through wireless headphones for some late night viewing on my TV without disturbing others 😄

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 12 of 39

Re: BT Sport app launches on new platforms in time for the start of the new season

@DarrenDev- didn't try Chromecast Ultra - as it is a lot of effort compared to the direct access devices.

But it seems to be a stream error as it only kicked in when the highest quality was reached (27Mb) but on both devices.

Perhaps if Dolby Atmos was added it would all be good 😉

---------------------------------------------------------------
using Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited with BT Max 4K package.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 13 of 39

I know the streaming is usually behind - the Amazon 4K feed is about 25 seconds behing the BTtv box  -  but the NovTV 4K feed is coming in another 35 seconds behind the Amazon pictures.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Sport Expert
Message 14 of 39

There's a rolling window of ~60 seconds that each player can sit within - some players will take closest to real-time, but at the risk of more buffering.  Others choose a slightly greater delay, to improve overall video experience.  There's also a chance that it can slip back due to temporary glitches - if you start the stream again, you may find it's closer to real-time.  This is unfortunately just how it is - the alternative would be to keep skipping to catch up, but I'm sure everyone would hate that even more.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 15 of 39

Thanks for explanation 🙂

@DarrenDevwrote:

There's a rolling window of ~60 seconds that each player can sit within - some players will take closest to real-time, but at the risk of more buffering.  Others choose a slightly greater delay, to improve overall video experience.  There's also a chance that it can slip back due to temporary glitches - if you start the stream again, you may find it's closer to real-time.  This is unfortunately just how it is - the alternative would be to keep skipping to catch up, but I'm sure everyone would hate that even more.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 16 of 39

@DarrenDev  Good afternoon Darren. I'm watching the Fulham vs Arsenal match atm through the new app on my 55XF9005. It's clear that the app is unfortunately refreshing at 60hz where the source frame rate is 50 fps. The stutter that this mismatch causes I'm really not a fan of so I will be using the Chromecast Ultra going forwards. I don't think its a limitation of your app, it's a limitation of the Android TV implementation on the TV.

I am sure the API you have called will work on a device like the Nvidia Shield TV or something like that. It's also working on the Amazon Fire TV Stick as per the feedback from @ozsat

I'm interested to see what the new 'Sabrina' device is like from Google. Even though my TV has Android TV built in, it won't be going any higher than it's current version of 8.0 due to the older and now EOL/unsupported mediatek chip running it. If the new Google Chromecast device is a fully fledged Android TV device with built in hardware Chromecast (where you can change the refresh rate between 50hz & 60hz) but also supports refresh rate switching for the Android TV app (similar to how the Apple TV 4K works), then I might pick that up.

Did I see you post last week Darren that you think the BT Sport app on the upcoming Sabrina device is, in your opinion, the best way to consume the large screen BT Sport app?

Cheers 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Sport Expert
Message 17 of 39

That's a shame @Mallett94 - hopefully the new refresh rate feature of Android 11 will resolve this for future TVs, but that's no use to you just now.

I obviously cannot comment on the Sabrina device, and I may be a little biased as I lead the Android dev team, but yes - I would agree with what you've said. 😎

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 18 of 39

Hi Darren. Whenever I click on enhanced player for the bt football it takes me to ultimate and my screen has a really dark picture. If I watch it on standard it's absolutely fine. I have a Samsung Tab s4 and if my device couldn't handle the HDR why does it take me to ultimate? I just want to watch the normal enhanced player if my device can't handle it. Below are the pictures you can see the ultimate is a lot darker. 

20575.jpg

20573.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Sport Expert
Message 19 of 39

It's common for people to say that HDR is darker @George9988 and many don't like it.  Others say it's a more natural colour. A quick Google suggests that the Tab S4 has a bit of a reputation for poor HDR reproduction though, so this could also explain it.

You can turn HDR off in the Enhanced Player by selecting the cog in the top right corner when you're in the player.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 39

@DarrenDevwrote:

It's common for people to say that HDR is darker @George9988 and many don't like it.  Others say it's a more natural colour. A quick Google suggests that the Tab S4 has a bit of a reputation for poor HDR reproduction though, so this could also explain it.

You can turn HDR off in the Enhanced Player by selecting the cog in the top right corner when you're in the player.

HDR does take a while to adjust to when you first begin using it but I'd advise sticking with it. It's all about colour reproduction which is superb with HDR images.

0 Ratings