cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markob53
Contributor
Message 1 of 34

BT Sport app on Samsung Smart TV awful picture quality

Just bought a new Samsung TV (UE43RU7100) and was excited to install the BT Sport app and watch sport on the TV (vs the PC app) and the quality is absolutely awful, it looks worse than SD honestly, certainly not HD.

I have Fibre 2 over wi-fi but i know it's nothing to do with that seeing as though i can stream HD and 4k content on YouTube with no issue, no settings in the app  either to change the quality (the PC version has a slider to allow HD streaming)

Is the quality of the app purposefully this bad to force people to purchase BT TV?

0 Ratings
33 REPLIES 33
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 34

Re: BT Sport app on Samsung Smart TV awful picture quality

@markob53 wrote:

Is the quality of the app purposefully this bad to force people to purchase BT TV?

Probably not seeing that the app works well with my few-years-old Panasonic via Chromecast or HDMI.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 34

Hi @markob53  As I also have BT TV I don’t watch on the Samsung Tv   Bt Sport  app all the time.

I do however find though that the live channel broadcasts quality  on the Samsung Tv  BT Sport app to be impressive , 

is the content you have issues with live channels , catch-up  programmes or short features ?

Also be aware that  some of your Samsung Tv settings maybe impacting your viewing 

see

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport-on-TV-Online-player-or/BT-Sport-app-on-Samsung-Smart-TV-picture...

0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 34

It takes nearly 15 seconds before the app settles on the best picture quality, recorded and live, but when it does the quality looks good on my Samsung Series 7.

0 Ratings
DirectorsScarf
Contributor
Message 5 of 34

What picture mode have you got it in. Natural is way too dark on my Samsung in the app with HDR content.

0 Ratings
EABowden
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 34

I used to get BT sport via sky and for cost reasons I cancelled. But with all the cricket coming from Australia and New Zealand I signed up to the app which is supposed to be HD quality for £12 a month. 

It just isn't. 

A still or slow moving picture is fine, but as soon as it moves fast, which is most of the time watching sport, it blurs. 

I've got two large Samsung TVs and motion plus is off. 

The facts of the matter are simply that the quality is nowhere near that of HD via satellite. To be honest some of the 'dodgy' football streams are better quality, so the fault isn't with my TV. 

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 34

Is the quality of the app purposefully this bad to force people to purchase BT TV?--

Highly unlikely seeing as though the App has better picture quality than what's available on BT TV at the moment. BT TV is UHD but the App is UHD with HDR and Dolby Atmos... I have BT TV but watch BT Sport Ultimate on the App via a Roku stick because the quality is much better..

0 Ratings
EABowden
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 34

I just tried via my now tv roku and the quality is much the same as the Samsung app, both on my three year old UE49MU7000 and my newer UE55RU8000. Poor.

If the picture is still it's fine, but as soon as it moves fast the ball becomes a blur. 

0 Ratings
DarrenDev
BT Sport Expert
Message 9 of 34

The video quality in the apps has the ability to be much better than you'll get on Sky depending on TV model, broadband speed, content, and subscription.
Samsung TVs made in 2017 or later are capable of viewing the best possible experience. 2016 models are slightly reduced. 2015 models are only capable of HD (the same as the maximum you'd get with Sky).
The BT Sport Extra channels are limited in quality and are not recommended if the event is also on one of the main channels.

Select the cog in the top right corner and then use the device checker to see what your TV, broadband, and subscription are capable of.
0 Ratings
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 34

@EABowden if it's happening on your Roku and also on the Samsung App, wouldn't that suggest that it's an issue with a setting on your TV?

0 Ratings