cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Simon67
Beginner
Message 1 of 25

BT Sport is FREE HA HA HA the jokes on me.

So, I'm a long term loyal BT customer. I have Infinity, BT vision and of course our phone. It's not often you get things for free in life so I was very much looking forward to Premier League football on my TV this season.

How wrong I was. It seems that because I have been a loyal  BT customer for many years my BT Vision box is not compatible with BT sport. I can see the channels on my existing on-screen guide but it seems I will have to pay £49 for a box swap to watch them. Now in my book that does not amount to free. Once again the longest serving customers are penalised. Had I joined BT last year my box would be fine and the football would be on. But no, because I've been a BT customer for more years than I care mention it's going to cost me £49, or not, as I refuse to pay it.  This is not mentioned in BT's TV, Radio or online ads , not to mention the barrage of emails I've been sent. No, it's tucked away in the terms and conditions small print. BT you're a disgrace.  Man Mad

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
geo1986
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 25

Re: BT Sport is FREE HA HA HA the jokes on me.

There are plenty of threads about this. Yes technology goes out of date and bt don't give free upgrades.

The best comment on this was someone still waiting for the bbc to send then a colour television!
0 Ratings
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 25

Its the same with sky. You want to upgrade to an HD box but you have to pay for it (small charge but even so).

Im going to threaten cancelling sky as I understand that's the only way you get something out of them if you're a longstanding customer.
0 Ratings
itsmee
Contributor
Message 4 of 25

you say " if i had joined BT last year my box would be fine" those people who joined last year still had to pay £49 for it, for your £49 you will get an HD pvr so cant see what your problem is, you could always go and buy a retail one for £250-£300 if your not prepared to pay the £49 to BT, do you want BT to keep supplying you with a new box every couple of years at no cost to you, by the way i am nothing to do with BT just a satisfied youview subscriber who has also been with BT a number of years.

0 Ratings
Simon67
Beginner
Message 5 of 25

What I was saying is that I've paid for my box once when I signed up. If I want BT sport I have to pay for it again, hence I'd have been better off signing up in the last year. Mobile phone companies offer free upgrades to keep customers, why not TV providers?

0 Ratings
Paul1360
Expert
Message 6 of 25

Simon,

You can also watch on a PC, Laptop, smartphone or tablet for Free. If your laptop or PC has an HDMI out socket then you can run a cable from that to your TV and still what for free.

As another poster has said it's not only BT who don't send out updated boxes as Sky is the same, In Sept this year all new sky customers will have the Sky+HD 2Tb built in Wi-Fi boxes existing customer have to pay for it if they want one

0 Ratings
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 25

Not having a go but its a myth that you get a 'free' upgraded mobile phone. The cost is actually built into your payment plan.

If your phone is PAYG or you bought it outright, you dont get a free upgrade, you have to pay for it yourself.

As I said before, if you want to upgrade from Sky SD to HD, they say its free but you have to pay the extra HD subscription of £5 a month minimum ie £60 a year for this 'free' upgrade.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Paul1360
Expert
Message 8 of 25

No Company gives out anything for free, they like to say it's free but as you say it cost's in the end. Sky HD pack is £10.25 a month now. The best Free thing around at the moment is Sky and their Sky Go as the mod's on the forum go to great pains to point out that it's FREE but when you then say well I've download Sky Go but can't watch anything they tell you it's free and follows you TV packages lol and no matter what they stick to it's free lol
0 Ratings
tellboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 25

Hi,

I may be wrong here but you do not buy the box off BT you rent it and if it fails then they will replace it.

So, if your silver box fails then I presume they will replace it with a newer spec'd box.Smiley Wink

Perhaps someone can confirm this?

All the best

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 25

@tellboy wrote:

Hi,

I may be wrong here but you do not buy the box off BT you rent it and if it fails then they will replace it.

So, if your silver box fails then I presume they will replace it with a newer spec'd box.Smiley Wink

Perhaps someone can confirm this?

All the best

You are wrong.  BT is selling you the box, with a warranty equal to the length of the contract.  However, all the time you pay your monthly subscription, they defer the payment for the box, and if you see out your one year contract, they write off the cost of the box.

"

1. We will supply a Set Top Box for use with the service which will be either a BT Vision+ box or a YouView box. In some cases we will allow you to defer payment of the full price of the Set Top Box. If we do this and you then end the service within 12 months of BT accepting your order for that Set Top Box, then except where you cancel the service within the cancellation period (as detailed in paragraphs 10 & 11 of the Residential Standard Terms), you will be liable to pay a charge. We will charge you, for each month remaining of the 12 month period from the date we accepted your order, one 12th of the balance – that is, the price of the Set Top Box as set out in the Tariff Guide, less any amount which you paid upfront when you placed your order. The deferred payment is no longer payable after you have received the service for 12 months or more from the date that your BT Vision order was accepted by BT."
0 Ratings