cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 24

Re: BT Sport mobile app - how can I tell if I'm seeing BT Sport in HD?

I'm grateful to everyone who's tried to give informed responses to my question, thanks.  In terms of feedback to BT about viewing in HD, I would suggest that users would appreciate a visible reassurance that they're seeing HD versions of BT Sport channels. Either by bringing back the on-screen channel identifiers (e.g BT Sport 1HD) or by giving users the choice to switch from SD to HD. 

In fact, the first option is suggested by the current BT Help page (first image) while the second option is implied by a different but current BT Help article (second image).  Neither Help article seems to be really accurate today.

But if the HD channels are not labelled as such...But if the HD channels are not labelled as such...Do these instructions still apply?Do these instructions still apply?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 24

In the mobile app you can choose to turn off the HD quality levels - usually to reduce data or battery usage. It makes no sense to offer this in the large screen apps, which are very unlikely to be connected to a metered data connection.
Showing HD in the DOG didn't mean you were actually watching HD - it still showed it even when you were watching the lower quality stream.
I also have to ask - if you can't tell whether you're watching in HD or not, what difference does it actually make?
One last point: SD/HD only refers to the resolution of the video - it's only a small part of what determines the quality. You also need to consider compression, encoding, frame rate, colour depth, pixel shape, etc. The important thing is that you're happy with what you're seeing. If you are, what difference does a label make?
Message 13 of 24

Hi @DarrenDev , yes, it’s precisely because I don’t believe that I’m getting the same HD experience that I used to, that I’m asking the question about how to check I’m receiving HD in the app. For the last few weeks - since annual renewal in fact - the image for e.g Premier League match looks very low res & grainy, especially when cast to my 55” display.   So, in troubleshooting the issue I naturally wanted to see if I’m still receiving the Sports channels in HD that I know I did before. You’ve told me that the on-screen channel identifier has dropped the HD suffix which doesn’t help troubleshooting. But my eyes know the difference between SD and HD. (And before you ask, nothing else in my setup has changed: 900Mbps full fibre, hardware or software). 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 24

Select the cog in the top right. Then the device checker. It'll tell you what your device is capable of.

Also, feel free to send me a DM with the BT ID you're using and I'll check the quality you're seeing when I'm at my desk tomorrow.
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 24

Thanks @DarrenDev   - I've sent my BT ID via DM.

But as for the cog that you reference - where is it?  These are my screens on iPhone (11 Pro, iOS 16.2) and iPad (5th generation).

BT Sport app on iPhone 11 ProBT Sport app on iPhone 11 ProBT Sport app on iPad 5th genBT Sport app on iPad 5th gen

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 24

Sorry, I misread your original post - I thought you were watching on Apple TV. We don't have a device checker in the mobile/tablet app.
Our logs for the last 7 days show that you rarely watch anything for more than 30 seconds before switching to something else. Most of your sessions manage to reach peak quality just before you quit the player.
You've mentioned casting - make sure you using the icon within the BT Sport app to send the video to your TV, rather than mirroring your entire screen. This will ensure maximum quality.
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 24

I can confirm that most streaming services can take several seconds to settle down to the best streaming quality that can be supported. For me, the big clue is the on-screen score-bar or channel logo which goes from being blurry to becoming sharp. Even so a fast moving ball, especially a cricket ball can still look a bit like a swarm of bees as it rockets to the boundary.
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 24

Thanks, @DarrenDev   I watched most of the Liverpool game on Saturday (12.30 - 2.30) casting to my LG 55" OLED,  using the cast button in the Standard Player of the BT Sport App, via my Apple TV box.  Briefly during that time I was offered BT Sport Ultimate which is obviously 4k and I realise not all programmes are on Ultimate. But when Ultimate was working, the picture was of course very good indeed.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 24

Sorry, but our logs don't show that, so I can't confirm what quality you saw - I've got someone investigating whether there could be a fault in the apps.

Our logs show, for the Liverpool v Chelsea match:

From your iPAD:

12:28 - watch for 7 minutes in HD, then stop

Between 12:35 and 12:39, click the match to watch it 5 times but quit the player before it has a chance to start

12:39 - watch for 1 minute in HD, then stop

12:41 - watch for 5 minutes in HD, then stop

13:02 - click the match to watch, but quit before it starts

13:03 - watch for 1 minute in HD, then stop

13:47 - watch for 30 seconds, then stop

From your iPhone:

Between 12:46 and 14:54 - 27 separate launches of the HD, 4K or enhanced players. Some started, some quit before the player was allowed to start. No errors reported. The longest session on your phone was 3 minutes 2 seconds, watching on BT Sport Ultimate in the standard player.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 24

@Doricwrote:

Thanks, @DarrenDev   I watched most of the Liverpool game on Saturday (12.30 - 2.30) casting to my LG 55" OLED,  using the cast button in the Standard Player of the BT Sport App, via my Apple TV box.  Briefly during that time I was offered BT Sport Ultimate which is obviously 4k and I realise not all programmes are on Ultimate. But when Ultimate was working, the picture was of course very good indeed.

@Doric  Apologies if I am missing some sort of point here BUT if you have a LG 55" OLED, then surely you can download the BT Sport app on to the TV itself. 
We have a Sony and a Samsung and both perform brilliantly using the BT Sport App.

0 Ratings