Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
superhoop
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

BT Sport on BT Vision - help please

Hi all,

could someone please confirm exactly what is required for me to receive BT Sport.

I curently have an old silver Vision Box and have upgraded to Infinity.

I understand the old silver box does not support BT Sport. If and when i receive a new Vision+ Box (this is another ongoing issue at the mo) do i still also need a BT Sport Card AND do i also need to request BT Sport?

I currently have the channels in the channel list but Sport 1 & 2 just come back with the viewing card not activated message (previosuly had ESPN and upgraded to Infinity to receive Sport).

Having looked at other posts im not sure if a viewing card is required IF i have a new Vision+ Box?

Would be grateful if someone could confirm definitively what is required.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Sport on BT Vision - help please

If you have Infinity with multicast available then with the right Homehub and newer black box configuration hard wired then you should be able to receive the BT Sports and ESPN broadband channels . No viewing card would be necessary.

The viewing card is only needed for a lower quality stream broadcast over the aerial  that is provided  mainly for those not able to receive the channels via broadband.

Note that if you do get a new BT vision box its default initial firmware will  probably not be multicast  level so will need to be upgraded -that will  firmware upgrade will probably not occur until you order Bt sport or any of the extra broadband channels. So probably best to order the BT Sport at the same time as ordering your new box so the requirements are included on the same order

( what HomeHub do you have at the moment ?)

0 Ratings
superhoop
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Hi, thanks for the reply, this seems all unnecessarily complicated when some simle clear instrucction from BT as to exxt requirements would have helped.

I have the new Homehub, came when i had Infinity just a short time ago.

Why then am i being asked to pay £10 for a Sports card? I really dont know whats going on tbh and its getting on my bloomin pip.

I went for Infinity cos i was told i needed that for BT Sport. Not quite as simple as all that. Seems ive got to muck about paying for a new box and/or not a card, so its hardly free at £60. If id know i may not have upgraded or would have requested a new box and Sport at the time i requested Infinity given i was out of contract! Feel like ive been done over a bit, not lied to necessarily but certainly not given all the facts.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

Just to confirm that because you are now on Infinity you don't need a viewing card to receive the BT Sport channels over broadband. So you can forget that £10 cost. Infinity is the best way to receive BT Sport as you get all three channels and also the option of the HD versions.

The reason you have to upgrade your silver box is because in order to get BT Sports the box has to run the newer software. The old silver boxes just aren't powerful enough to run it. So even if you hadn't gone for Infinity you would still have required a box upgrade in order to use the viewing card method.

If you can get BT to send you a new black Vision+ box for free then that's fine and what zulu17 said about the firmware upgrade will apply.

If however, BT insist that you have to pay £49 for a new box then you should consider getting the BT Youview box rather than the BT Vision+ box. The Youview box is the newer, better spec, more reliable, more future-proofed one.

The only thing you can't have on the BT Youview box is Sky Sports 1&2. If you are not interested in a Sky Sports subscription then the Youview box is the better choice. BT, Sky and Ofcom are still arguing about providing Sky Sports on BT Youview in the longer term. A decision from Ofcom is expected this winter.

0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 5 of 7

@umpire wrote:

Just to confirm that because you are now on Infinity you don't need a viewing card to receive the BT Sport channels over broadband. So you can forget that £10 cost. Infinity is the best way to receive BT Sport as you get all three channels and also the option of the HD versions.

The reason you have to upgrade your silver box is because in order to get BT Sports the box has to run the newer software. The old silver boxes just aren't powerful enough to run it. So even if you hadn't gone for Infinity you would still have required a box upgrade in order to use the viewing card method.

If you can get BT to send you a new black Vision+ box for free then that's fine and what zulu17 said about the firmware upgrade will apply.

If however, BT insist that you have to pay £49 for a new box then you should consider getting the BT Youview box rather than the BT Vision+ box. The Youview box is the newer, better spec, more reliable, more future-proofed one.

The only thing you can't have on the BT Youview box is Sky Sports 1&2. If you are not interested in a Sky Sports subscription then the Youview box is the better choice. BT, Sky and Ofcom are still arguing about providing Sky Sports on BT Youview in the longer term. A decision from Ofcom is expected this winter.

In addition, it's a near certainty that Sky wil offer Sky Sports and Sky Movies (and its other channels) direct to YouView users via its NOW TV brand which already has a YouView VoD player.

It's just waiting for the unicast channels support to be added to the boxes later this/early next year. 

0 Ratings
superhoop
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Thank you so much guys, appreciate the very helpful replies. I will check out YouView i think. Cheers again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

Here is information about the BT Sport channel numbers.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46167/c/6401,6577

If you went for a BT Youview box then you should be aware that unlike the BT Vision+ box it has no viewing card slot. The only way to receive the BT Sport channels on BT Youview is via Infinity multicast. You can't use the aerial delivery as a fall-back position. So, bearing that in mind ...

Just to check that you can receive the sports channels over Infinity multicast try going to this page and look at the table near the bottom for the difference. Then click on "Can I get sports channels?" at the top right. Enter your phone number and check the results.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/tv/sport

It doesn't always make it clear about how it will deliver the BT Sport channels, but as long as it says you can get the optional 18 extra channels then that means your line supports Infinity multicast and you should also get the BT Sport channels via multicast as well.

extra1.jpg

You can also double check by entering your number on this site.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Enter your phone number and look for the following in the results.

extra2.jpg

0 Ratings