cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

BT Sport up for sale - Amazon and Disney interested. Good or bad?

Think this will be terrible for viewers myself. I would imagine both the afore mentioned would want to either run the service as part of their existing apps, or to turn it into its own app. 

Amazon have already completely ruined the WTA coverage after nabbing it off BT. God knows how they would ruin the rest of the sports. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Sport up for sale - Amazon and Disney interested. Good or bad?

@Retrovertigo  Agreed but football these days requires sky high investment to keep the stars well paid. Many earn in one month what you would earn in 20 years on £50k a year! Add to that, the astronomical transfer fees!

Seems BT is understandably unwilling to finance this as it would require sharp increases in subscription fees that we all pay.

For the moment, enjoy!

Finally, the coverage on BT is excellent, especially the Euro matches, so a big THANK YOU from me.

Message 3 of 10

Very early days though apparently as per the official statement -

'Further to media reports, BT can confirm that early discussions are being held with a number of select strategic partners, to explore ways to generate investment, strengthen our sports business, and help take it to the next stage in its growth.

'The discussions are confidential and may or may not lead to an outcome.' 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Certainly worrying having just started a two year contract for BT Sports 

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

I’d prefer that either Amazon or Disney partnered with BT rather than the alternative of ITV which has now been mentioned. The fact that BT Sport has a presence on the Sky and Virgin platforms would be seen as useful to both Amazon and Disney who have app only offerings at the moment, at least until the nation’s broadband is rolled out for the majority to be able to rely upon app only services.

I’m sure that ITV would be delighted to be able to show some of BT Sport’s Champions League, Europa League and Premier League on a free to air basis, but what would BT stand to gain out of this? What would happen if BT Sport were not able to hold onto some of its most valuable rights when they came up for renewal again? BT Sport would not be sustainable as a premium sports service in that event. 

I’d rather that BT partnered with Amazon or Disney in the short to medium term to continue to offer sport to its own customers. It may then be in a position in the long term to decide whether it wanted to continue to be a partner or to bow out of sport completely and become an aggregator of content. The other alternative would be for BT to bow out of sport completely now by selling up to whoever’s willing to offer them the best deal.

Message 6 of 10

I'm hoping it'll let me get out of the contract early.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Lol discussions may not lead anywhere yet people are already talking about cancelling! I'm sure if things were to change dramatically there'd be options

Message 8 of 10

I was looking to cancel before this became public knowledge. 6 months of furlough and now a reduction in working hours are the reasons, nothing to do with who may or may not buy BT Sport.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

If you speak to BT about your change in circumstances they may be able to offer you a solution. Best of luck. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

They weren't very sympathetic I'm afraid, I wanted to cancel sport altogether but I only got a £3 a month reduction. Better than nothing I suppose and hopefully I return to full time work sooner rather than later.

0 Ratings