cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kev2012
Message 1 of 5

BT Sport via BT Vision - Freeview Aerial - Card - Appears in Guide; but can't view

Hi all.

I have registered with BT Sport.

I have a BT Vision box, all working ok, connected to the internet via my Broadband connection and use to watch catch-up TV and other gems such as the poker and things.

My BT Vision box uses a freeview aerial; i don't get all the channels but a certain percentage. 

My BT Sport Card has arrived, and is activated via the online system.

BT Sport appears in my tv guide (BT1, 2, 1HD, 2HD, ESPN, Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports 2).

However, i click on the channel today especting to be able to watch Man Cit v Bayern Audi Cup and when i click the channel it goes to BBC1, i try on the other channels within the sport section of my guide, same problem.  I have read a great deal of information about going straight to channel 58/59, but there is absolutely nothing there (not a blank screen, it won't even flip my tv to those channels).  Can scroll through all other available channels a-ok.

Now, i'm new to BT Vision and ONLY signed-up because of BT sport, i ran through my entire house set-up (we have a sky dish and a TV aerial available to this property but NO BT infinity to our area; note - we don't actually use a sky receiver box) with the BT representative who contacted me about BT Vision and he assured me i can get BT Sport via my TV by signing-up to BT Vision, buying the Vision box and signing-up to a specific £5 a month rental, it appears i can't (unless i'm doing something wrong, which is why i'm here).

I've accessed the channel online, which is ok, via my mobile phone (which is very nifty with the app) but ideally i'd like to get the service i was talked into signing up to to work through my TV (nothing beats watching it on the proper tv you splash your cash on, rather than smaller less quality screens which is really just a perk).  Anybody able to help me out here?

Just to clarify; have done all the other set-up proceedures several times (reset tv, box, hub, reactivated card, checked connections, checked broadband, checked signal, searched for channel updates etc etc etc...been trying since 7pm, now 1am and still can't get it to work.)

Many thanks - Kev.x

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
kev2012
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Sport via BT Vision - Freeview Aerial - Card - Appears in Guide; but can't view

So it appears i was missold BT Vision, box and the monthly subscription.  I am not receiving it because my Freeview Transmitter which supplies signal to my area doesn't supply freeview COM6 which is the one which includes BT Sport.

BT Vision was sold to me entirely on the premise BT Sport could be received, this isn't the case of the BT caller not telling me by "forgetting" or "not checking" availability in my area.  I specifically asked FIVE TIMES during my sign-up telephone call "you are certain i can get BT Sport with the set-up i have in my house; i.e via an aerial, on the post Code XXX and with the telephone number XXX" ... "yes 100% sure you can get it through your BT Vision on your TV using your Freeview aerial".  I didn't ask once, i asked multiple times and gave full information of my location, set-up etc.

This summounts to misselling.  Very angry with BT.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Re: BT Sport via BT Vision - Freeview Aerial - Card - Appears in Guide; but can't view

When I paid £10 for my ESPN viewing card, I was told it was a one off payment, and I would have the channel 'for life'.

At the time, they must have been aware of the buy out, and the plans to roll out BT sport. Now it appears I have to pay another £10 for BT sport viewing card (unless I want the hassle of hooking up my laptop to the TV every time - not Ideal).

I am dubious about shelling out another 'one-off' tenner, as they probably have a plan to introduce BT Sport mkII with yet another 'one-off' FEE for their FREE service.

Lying/cheating/mis selling is the name of the game with this company (in my opinion).

0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 4 of 5

@iansutherland wrote:

When I paid £10 for my ESPN viewing card, I was told it was a one off payment, and I would have the channel 'for life'.

At the time, they must have been aware of the buy out, and the plans to roll out BT sport. Now it appears I have to pay another £10 for BT sport viewing card (unless I want the hassle of hooking up my laptop to the TV every time - not Ideal).

I am dubious about shelling out another 'one-off' tenner, as they probably have a plan to introduce BT Sport mkII with yet another 'one-off' FEE for their FREE service.

Lying/cheating/mis selling is the name of the game with this company (in my opinion).

The channel was sold to BT by its owners, all previous agreements ended when that happened. No-one lied, no-one was cheated. Things changed. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

@kev2012 wrote:

BT Sport appears in my tv guide (BT1, 2, 1HD, 2HD, ESPN, Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports 2).

If you can see those channels in your EPG (501-512) then that implies BT have installed the multicast version of the software on your box. That is the version designed for receiving the channels over the broadband and doesn't use the viewing card. Normally that is only for Infinity customers, but there are a small number of customers who can get the SD sports channels over normal ADSL broadband. So there is a very slight chance that BT think they can give you the sports channels in SD over ADSL. It is however far more likely that they have just sent the wrong software to your box, but you never know, a possible glimmer of hope? I wouldn't get your hopes up though.

The problem is that I don't know of any easy way of checking whether your line is eligible to receive the sports channels over ADSL. You would need to ask BT why they have installed the multicast software on your box. As you know though, phoning up the tech support number (who should be able to answer that question) can often be a difficult process.

See this post about software versions.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Vision/New-Look-software-versions-Oct-2013/td-p/1034280

and this example thread

http://community.bt.com/t5/Watching-BT-Sport-on-BT-Vision/Only-able-to-see-507-and-508-on-EPG-but-do...

0 Ratings