Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
o_O
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

BT Sports - No room for negotiation

Go to solution

Coming to the end of my broadband contract. I was offered a new contract, and I enquired about the BT Sports package which included Sky Sports. Package called Big Sports, which is £20/month for 6 months and then resumes to £40/month for 18 months. 

I had asked if there is any room to adjust the Sports package at all, and I got a swift no. Even if they wanted to, apparently they don't have the ability to adjust any sports prices on their system.

It's a shame, because I was prepared to meet in the middle, and go £30/month for the Sports package all the way through the contract. I explained I could get BT Sport with BT and Sky Sports with NOWTV for a total of £30/month, but wanted to avoid the hassle and wanted to just pay one company for the service.

Is this true, and BT cannot alter the prices for sports?

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
TheRealBudski
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Sports - No room for negotiation

Go to solution

I’ve recently tried too. Didn’t get any joy, luckily I’ve a couple of months to go so hopefully some deal might crop up around Black Friday. Not holding my breath though. 

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

@o_Owrote:

Is this true, and BT cannot alter the prices for sports?

The price for adding it is already 50% off for the first 6 months, BT advisors can't set their own prices.
The new packages were only launched in January 2020, they are 24 month terms, so people won't enter the window to recontract until around June 2021, I wouldn't expect to see any retention offers until then.

0 Ratings
o_O
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution
Yeah the offer for 6 months at 50% is a great advertisement. However that's only for a quarter of the contract length you need to sign up to.
BT advisors should be able to adjust prices for sports, because they can do exactly that for the broadband prices.
Seems absurd there is no wriggle room to lower it slightly (especially for a long contract), even when I've shown I can get it cheaper elsewhere. There was no movement on price whatsoever. What is advertised, is what will be offered, and that is that.
I probably will just stick with NOWTV, but like I said, it would have been nice to have the service with the one company.
0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

@o_Owrote:
BT advisors should be able to adjust prices for sports, because they can do exactly that for the broadband prices.

They can't with brand new customers, the new customer deals are fixed, they have wiggle room on retentions for existing customers, my previous reply explains why there's no retention offers for new BTTV packages.

0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

So you are able to get both for £30 per month then, I assume you've missed out the point where that's with a voucher? The standard price for the monthly sky sports pass is 33.99 so why would they give you it & bt sport at a lower cost for the full contract?

scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

And of course after six months I presume you could swap the package to say just BT sports if you didn’t want to pay the extra £25 for sky sports.

-Richie-
Guru
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

@scointerwrote:

And of course after six months I presume you could swap the package to say just BT sports if you didn’t want to pay the extra £25 for sky sports.

You can move packages monthly without affecting the original minimum term, they're flexible:
Big Sport > Sport
Sport > Big Entertainment
Big Sport + Entertainment pass
Big Entertainment + Sky Sports daily pass

o_O
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

@garybs29 - Yeah. That is the offer price. I've used it for the past 3 seasons. Are you asking why would a company try to match (or at least reduce) the price to get my custom/money? Apart from the obvious, they will also have me secured in a 2 year contract, which benefits the company.

Anyway, my point was, there is no budging on price for sports. Not even a little-incy-wincy bit.

0 Ratings
o_O
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@scointer - that is true. Flexing down to BT Sport only will only cost £15/month. This however defeats the purpose, as I'm interested in watching the premier league, and if I'm abandoning ship after 6 months then I'll miss the last third of the season.

If I went for BT Sport package, it would be to get away from the hassle of two different services and company's i.e. I know what I'm paying, and I can leave it be for the entirety of my contract. Changing this and that after 6 months with BT Sport is worse than changing this and that after 9 months with NOWTV.

0 Ratings