cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul1360
Expert
Message 1 of 13

BT Sports app

Does anybody understand this lack  of information from BT about supported android devices as I can't, they are not the only media provider who is doing it.

BT Sport app will be supported on ipad mini's and ipad's but they will not inform their customers if 7" & 10" android tablets will be supported, not asking for makes and models just the sizes, all they will say is "selected android devices".

For the sake of parity I'm at a lose as to this stance, after a lot of customers are asking the same questions on other BT social media.

As stated BT are not the only media provider that does this and I just can't get my head around it, I can't see any reason for not to inform customers of this, in other words why say on 1 platform and refuse to say on another platform, idevices in the UK has  a 30% market share and android has a 70% share. plain crazy unless they are not going to support 7" & 10"  android tablets.

iechyd da

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Sports app

They are probably still working on the Android app and haven't pinned down the versions that they will be able to support yet. Android apps are normally late to follow after Apple apps, due to the fragmentation of the Android operating system. Although this is improving now.
0 Ratings
Paul1360
Expert
Message 3 of 13

drhowells,
I know were you're coming from but all customers want to know is 7" & 10" nothing else. Yes fragmentation can be used as a reason but asthey have already stated for devices running OS 4.x.x and above they have taken away a lot of those problems, develop for a nexus device and bobs your uncle they will work on the rest running OS 4, also Google Android Studio now makes it so apps develop for 1 device can be adjusted in the UI to work on other screen sizes.
iechyd da
0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 13

But it isn't as easy as saying it will work on 7" or 10" devices. There are a variety of different devices with a variety of different Android versions. It's not just the Nexus.

0 Ratings
Paul1360
Expert
Message 5 of 13

Correct but do an app for pure android OS JB 4.2.2 and that app will working on devices with OS 4.x.x and up, so an will run on say a nexus 10 will run on a SG Tab2 10.1 as the OS will take care of the rendering, screen size et al.
iechyd da
0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 13

and that is probably the case, but as I said, they are probably still working on it and the details are not finalised yet.
0 Ratings
Paul1360
Expert
Message 7 of 13

drhowells,

True enough they are still a work in progress and I know it may sound silly but I fail to see how they can't say that they hope/working towards/aim to support 7" & 10" Android tabs, like they say about ios pads, Customers as yet are not asking are you going to support the Kindle, nesus 7 & 10, SGS Tab2, SG Note 10.1, Auus pad , Sony X Z tab et al but just a general yes or no on these size tabs. I can't understand why they can say we don't know what is being worked on, I just hope BT is not going down the Sky route. There again maybe it's me and I should not be asking these simple questions that only need a simple answer lol

iechyd da

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 13

Pardon me if I've missed something here, but won't it be possible to connect to BT Sport online without the app? I was assuming that it will be like the existing BT Wi-Fi app - a convenience rather than a necessity.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Paul1360
Expert
Message 9 of 13

pp,

Interesting but I think BT will not go down that route as if they did then there would be no need to develop an app for mobiles and the only media provider that does that for sport is the BBC and even they have a app for both ios and android. For PC and laptops that is the way BT Sport has said it will work. At the end of the day I think that would be the best way for any Media provider to progress by having a generic website page that can be used by all android devices and has been said they do that for windows and lion OS's so why not for Android, they can still use DRM to protect contect and I bet it would not cost as much as a seperate app or to run as I'm sure if BT picked a browser to use then I bet they would help out.

Really thinking about it PP and having read what Gavin Pattersonabout access for everyone and to change the way we watch sport, then going the browser route is the way to go, alas I still can't see BT going that way.

iechyd da

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 13

But you don't need an app to watch live streaming on BBC. Canadian Grand Prix practice is live on my Android as I type, app-free.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings