cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mystery_blue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT TV EXTRA BOX/ BT TV APP EXTRA

Has BT TV EXTRA BOX  been superseded with BT TV APP EXTRA? I cannot find on the bt.com website in extras BT Tv extra box only the Bt tv app extra. I have a extra box so was thinking about subscribing to BT tv extra box. Will subscribing to BT TV APP EXTRA support an extra TV BOX as one of the extra devices?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT TV EXTRA BOX/ BT TV APP EXTRA

As usual, it's clear as mud. 

It does appear from what I can see that they have removed almost every reference to TV Extra Box, but it does say in the blurb for TV App Extra:

"You can get BT TV in a second room with BT TV app Extra, so you and your family can watch and record different shows at the same time. Plus, you can watch TV on the go with the BT TV mobile app, which gives you entertainment channels, kids' channels and BT Sport.

Here's what you need if you want to get BT TV app Extra:

• Superfast Fibre with speeds of 23Mbps or more
  • 12-month subscription to BT TV App
  • You'll need a TV box or a recordable TV box as your main set-top box. You can choose an extra TV box (that doesn't record) with all our TV packages, or a recordable TV box with Entertainment and Entertainment Extra
  • A separate aerial connection for your second set-top box (we can help if you need an aerial or extra connection points)
  • To download the BT TV app from the Apple Store or Google Play shop to watch BT TV on your mobile or tablet.

If you get Entertainment or Entertainment Extra, you'll get BT TV App as part of your package. BT TV App allows you to both watch and record BT TV on the go – all you need is the free BT TV app and an internet connection."

So I would suggest you are correct, you can still have extra box but it is just part of TV App Extra now. The good thing about extra box is that you can still watch Sky channels in another room, something you can't do with the app.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 8

I suspect it may be confusion caused by the way the webpage has been edited.

It's author is clearly confused by  BT Tv App Extra and BT Tv Extra Box.

Message 4 of 8

Hi @mystryblue, I'm sorry for any confusion caused the BT TV app extra has not replaced the Extra box subscription. If you want BT TV on a second youview box you'll need the Extra box subscription check out this link for more info.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 8

Package Thank you @NeilO  for clarifying.

can I just pick up on @stereohaven  post referring to the sky channels. it is covered in the link that @NeilO  posted 

Extra box subscription is not available  if you have Sky Sports Main Event or Sky Cinema  add  ons  in your BT TV package.

0 Ratings
stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

@zulu17wrote:

can I just pick up on @stereohaven  post referring to the sky channels. it is covered in the link that @NeilO  posted 

Extra box subscription is not available  if you have Sky Sports Main Event or Sky Cinema  add  ons  in your BT TV package.

I have extra box and can watch Sky Sports on either box without issue, which is why I referred to it (I don't have Sky Cinema so can't test it).

Either I am very lucky or perhaps something has changed?

0 Ratings
mystery_blue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Hi NeilO,

I found that link also, however when you select “Order Extra Box” you get taken to the Upgrades and add ons page - Extra box is not listed only BT Tv App extra, hence my confusion.

As it’s not included, I will probably just get the BT TV App extra as I would find the App useful for access over over multiple devices and display on a second TV and could not warrant subscriptions totalling £20 just for use of a second box.

thanks

0 Ratings
stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

@zulu17wrote:

...can I just pick up on @stereohaven  post referring to the sky channels. it is covered in the link that @NeilO  posted 

For the benefit of the poster and anyone else that reads this thread, @zulu17  was correct in the advice he gave about not being able to have Sky Sports or Cinema and Extra Box.

It would seem BT have no way of linking the Sky channels currently (hopefully this will change with NOW TV), to a particular box, so I was receiving it in error.

They have been in touch and gave me the choice of cancelling Sky Sports (£36 per month) or Extra Box (free on my deal). Naturally I cancelled Sky Sports. 

Lesson learned, I will be very careful when trying to help in future, I had something I shouldn't and next time I'll keep my mouth shut! 😂

0 Ratings