cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

BT TV - Web Player

Hi

I am trying to sort out my needs for BT TV.  I have been going aroung in circles attempting to define exactly what I need to do the following:

I want the basic TV package - Entertainment.  I do not need the terrestrial stuff at all (I do not get a terrestrial signal anyway) as I can and do get the free to air TV channels via my PVR already.  I only want to be able to stream/record/cownload as allowed, whatever else is included in the basic package (NOW TV, NETFLIX and AMC).

My setup would be: BT Hub - WiFi to my laptop, and that is all.  I believe I do not need any of the BT TV boxes to have that type of setup.

OK, now the question: am I right in thinking that all I need is to take a BT TV package (Entertainment) and the BT TV Player software on my laptop?

Regards from Livingston, Scotland
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT TV - Web Player

AMC is through the BT TV app, NowTV is through the NowTV app, Netflix is through the Netflix app and you can't watch the Freeview channels through the BT TV app.

If you take BT TV, you'll need a TV aerial to complete the set-up process of the Youview box.

Message 3 of 9

As far as I know you need the now tv app for the entertainment channels and the BT TV app gives you AMC. 

I am not aware of how you get the package without the BT TV Pro box and how you can record without one.

It's a free box and I have never had any major issues with it, so not sure why you wouldn't want it.

Watch this space with the aerial requirements. Freeview over IP (the Internet) seems to be imminent with BT Pro boxes. 

Tags (3)
Message 4 of 9

Hi @NigelB72 

Further confusion.  When you mention BT App, is that the same as the BT Player - I so not need any mobile phone interaction (I don't have a smart phone)

Here is the BT info I am starting from:

BT TV for just £9

Add a BT TV Entertainment package to your Superfast Fibre broadband and pay just £9 for 24 months. That includes Netflix and NOW Entertainment (RRP: £9.99 a month) giving you access to the latest Sky content on channels such as Sky Atlantic, Sky Max and Sky Witness and much more - plus switch your package with flexible BT TV.

From your post, it would seem I need an app for everything?  From the above BT info, I read it to mean that everything was integrated with either an App, or on my laptop, the BT Player.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Yes, there are apps available for your Windows PC/laptop too, as long as it's running Windows 10 or later on supported hardware.

The only way to 100% guarantee you'll be able to watch everything would be to use the BT TV box included as part of your subscription.

Message 6 of 9

Hi @Weerab1983 

OK, I need the box for recording, thanks for that info.

The Freeview over IP possibility is good news.  I currently use Freesat with a set top box and so can have recordings on it for any of the free to air content. Again, you mention that there would be more than 1 app needed - none of that was mentioned in the various FAQ's I had a look through.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Hi @DarrenDev

Thanks for the reply.  I will take your advice regarding the BT TV box.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Hi @NigelB72 

I will not be able to have terrestrial signal as I am in a location with close proximity to some trees that refuse to stop growing. From the various reading, the ariel is only needed for froeview content which I already have via my FreeSat setup,

Is Youview another name for the BT TV box?

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Youview is the software that the recording box uses to work