cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
justyn_c_uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 29

Re: BT TV, Youview and BT Sport - NO BT INFINITY

Yes I have a viewing card at the moment in an original Silver box. My confusion comes from what I have been told by BT TV. My card ceases to work by 31st July and as a non-infinity customer (8Mb ADSL) I lose ESPN. Then the exchange needs an upgrade to do the sports streaming (not infinity) and therefore although I have the bandwidth I will not get Sports.

I'm not inferring anything this is what I was told directly. This seems slightly illogical to me as BT would be creating a two tier system for customers, those with 21CN and those without and this is what I want to clear up.

I know the literatures says minimum 400kbps for streaming, but does my exchange really need a separate upgrade and do I really lose all my live sports on my BT box whilst being charged the same as everyone else.

It's bad enough I appear to not be able to get Eurosport as a non-infinity customer (no cycling or biathlon), but nothing live doesn't ring right with me.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 22 of 29

For non-Infinity customers, BT Sport with BTTV will be delivered via Freeview with a card (except for a few with very good ADSL2 connections). Apart from that exception there's no distinction between ADSL and ADSL2 customers because Freeview doesn't depend on broadband. However you will need a black box, and I'm sorry if I misled you about that. DavidM's message 33 here confirms the position.

If you have less than 12 months left on your existing broadband contract you will need to agree to an extension to get BT Sport via BTTV. It might be possible to negotiate a black box as part of that.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
findo_gask
Beginner
Message 23 of 29

Have a Youview box in a non infinity zone. Didn't want a black box as no HD channels. Only got BT for sport and as old Hummy had slot thought Youview would have. Anyway have a CAM in TV. Will viewing card work in it come August or have I wasted my time getting BT Vision. Have asked this question in a few threads but no answer. Called BT but nobody knows. Used to get ESPN throgh CAM.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 24 of 29

@findo_gask wrote:

Will viewing card work in it come August or have I wasted my time getting BT Vision.

The card won't work for ESPN but will provide BT Sport on channels 41 & 42. You have to register for BTS and have at least 12 months on your broadband contract.

I also have BTTV only for the sport. If I was not one of the lucky ADSL customers who will be able to get Sky Sports via broadband, I would have cancelled BTTV and streamed BTS from the internet via my laptop to the telly.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 25 of 29

Sorry to hiajack a little , but I have a youview box and a samsung smart tv and want to watch btsport on the tv.  I know that there is no btsport app for the tv and the youview wont work (in an adsl area).

On a popular auction site I can buy second hand black bt vision boxes for about £25.  Could I ask bt for a viewing card and use a vision box to watch the sport via the aerial while keeping the youview box.

Does anyone think that this will work or will bt throw a hissy fit with both boxes.

Regards

Lee

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 29

I have just found out, after setting up my brand new Youview box, paying £12.50 a month for the TV package and doing what I thought was loads of research into it, that I actually can't watch BT Sport on Youview unless I sign up for Infinity.  

I signed up for a package that gave me free unlimited broadband for 6 months due to budgetary constraints, I cannot afford to pay for Infinity at this time.  

The whole process of building a package is completely confusing and at no point was I warned that if I didn't take infinity I could not get BT Sport and the extra channels without paying for Infinity, unless I switched to BT Vision, giving up Yoview which I do not wish to do.   

BT, make your website clearer and give warnings, lots of people signing up to BT for the sport package, you have a moral obligation to make it 100% clear of the circumstances when a customer can and cannot get the package.

The guy in India had no clue what was going on with my combinations of packages/equipment, it wasn't until I spoke to Durham that I got anywhere.  

My opinion is I want the whole deal and if BT can't provide it then I am cancelling.

So I requested this and was told I was going to be charged over £600 in cancellation charges!!

Have BT not heard of the Distance Selling Regulations?

I have had my service for less than 7 days so can cancel the contract and return the goods with no penalty, but they do not seem to be aware of this.  

I wish I had taken notice of all the bad customer service feedback for BT out there, off to get a Freesat box and continue to tether my laptop to my phone, even though I lose connection sometimes it is better than dealing with this incompetent shower of morons.  

I am so glad they are not called British Telecommunications any more, they give the word British a bad name!!

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 29

p.s. My mum received a letter from BT recently, she just has the normal bog standard BT Broadband with HomeHub 3 (I think).  She was invited to get a free Youview box and BT TV for £5 per month including the free BT Sport Package. Even their marketing department has no clue what package works with what equipment!! You really couldn't make it up...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 28 of 29

Barrry,

Did you sign up for the broadband package and the Tv package at the same time or did you get the broadband first and add the Tv afterwards ?

Also did you order before or after Aug 1st ?

0 Ratings
Vixsta77
Message 29 of 29

I am not happy, I have a Bt vision box, paid £49 activation fee and £10 for viewing card 7 months ago, had Bt sport channels with no problems, moved a month ago, Bt sport channel is now saying I am not subscribed!! Phoned Bt and they are telling me that I can not get Bt sport through my tv without Bt infinity but how have I had it for 6 months without infinity??? Can somebody explain?? I will not be staying with Bt at the end of my contract!! Nothing but problems with them and not very good customer service, when phoning to complain half the time we get disconnected from the call!!!
0 Ratings