Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joshuatree_87
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

BT TV app extra /BT Sport App- HD and 4K issues

Hi,

I’ve just been upgraded to BT TV app extra after having been a BT TV customer for around 5 years. I have a brand new Samsung smart 4K TV and as such downloaded the apps on there.

I downloaded the BT TV app but was disappointed to see that, despite having the HD max package as well, the channels on the app were in SD will no option to watch in HD.

I was also told that I would now be able to access BT Sport 4K through the sports app - whilst I can access BT Sports 1-4 and the extra channels in HD, the 4K channel does not appear.

I rang customer services who said that when I opened the app or in settings there would be an option to watch in HD and activate the 4K channel. This is certainly not the case.

Could someone please advise?! Thank you.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT TV app extra /BT Sport App- HD and 4K issues

Hi @joshuatree_87 

As far as I'm aware the apps automatically adjust the resolution according to the device they're running on, for SD/HD.

In addition, the Sport App will automatically give the chance to view in HDR, but again only if the device is compatible and subject to broadcast. I'm not aware that the Sport App offers the 4k channel, I think that Customer Services have given you the wrong information. Trying to find out all of this on BT's Help Pages is also like trying to split the atom to be honest.

joshuatree_87
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I think I’ve got the Sport/4K issue sorted - after even more searching, I’m under the impression 4K HDR content can only be streamed as and when an event is taking place, as opposed to existing as a permanent channel.

I think the live entertainment channels on the BT TV app are being streamed in 720p, which seems to be a shame considering I have a strong enough connection (~35mbps) to support a 1080p stream.

Is anybody else running the BT TV app on Samsung? Cheers.

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

@joshuatree_87wrote:

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I think I’ve got the Sport/4K issue sorted - after even more searching, I’m under the impression 4K HDR content can only be streamed as and when an event is taking place, as opposed to existing as a permanent channel.

I think the live entertainment channels on the BT TV app are being streamed in 720p, which seems to be a shame considering I have a strong enough connection (~35mbps) to support a 1080p stream.

Is anybody else running the BT TV app on Samsung? Cheers.

This is where it's somewhat confusing. As I said before HDR with the BT Sport App is solely dependant on the broadcast/content, it is not in 4k either although I think  there is the intention to add it.

This Forum Topic might help, it'll take you to page 6 where the more salient comments are.

I have the BT Sport App on my Samsung TV and in my opinion the HDR broadcast is inferior to the 4k broadcast through the STB (which isn't HDR), when I've done comparisons. I haven't downloaded the BT TV App to the TV because I don't have the need to use it on my main TV.

0 Ratings