cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
yongkuk
Contributor
Message 21 of 366

Re: BT sport Web Streaming, Frame skipping and jerky video...

Actually the stream will work flawlessly on Saturday as nobody will be able to get on πŸ™‚
0 Ratings
JanT
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 366

As from last week I have had a problem with BT Sport on line, up untill last thursday it was all working fine, then it stated taking over 8 minutes to load any of the three streams. I phoned BT help and after nearly seventeen hours on the phone during that time being shunted from one adviser to the other, who I may add, none knew what they were doing. I have spoken to call center's here, in India, the Philippines. I was back to India yesterday for another 90 minutes, one of their people monitored their site for four hours and phoned me back to day stating there is no problems. He the took control of my computer by remote and inspected the internet connections the speed, etc. Also the browsers. He tested their site on my computer and found that it was indeed taking over eight minutes to load a stream. I told him to test other TV streaming sites on my computer, He tested, Sky Go, ITV, BBC, BBC Sports, Channel 4, 5 Live. All of wich loaded their streams in under 10 seconds. He then admitted it was not my equipment, as it was up to date very fast and the broadband speed was much more than they needed. He states however he will put the problem to the "Back End Team" who will ring me within the next 72 hours, but no fix promised. All this after 17 plus hours on the phone so far. I honestly think that is a disgrace in every respect of the word.

0 Ratings
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 366

@JanT wrote:

As from last week I have had a problem with BT Sport on line, up untill last thursday it was all working fine, then it stated taking over 8 minutes to load any of the three streams. I phoned BT help and after nearly seventeen hours on the phone during that time being shunted from one adviser to the other, who I may add, none knew what they were doing. I have spoken to call center's here, in India, the Philippines. I was back to India yesterday for another 90 minutes, one of their people monitored their site for four hours and phoned me back to day stating there is no problems. He the took control of my computer by remote and inspected the internet connections the speed, etc. Also the browsers. He tested their site on my computer and found that it was indeed taking over eight minutes to load a stream. I told him to test other TV streaming sites on my computer, He tested, Sky Go, ITV, BBC, BBC Sports, Channel 4, 5 Live. All of wich loaded their streams in under 10 seconds. He then admitted it was not my equipment, as it was up to date very fast and the broadband speed was much more than they needed. He states however he will put the problem to the "Back End Team" who will ring me within the next 72 hours, but no fix promised. All this after 17 plus hours on the phone so far. I honestly think that is a disgrace in every respect of the word.

The streams do take an age to load for me. 

But what I have noticed recently is that they seem much closer to the broadcast. They are less than a minute behind now for me. They were, at one stage 3 and half minutes behind.

0 Ratings
timkanu
Beginner
Message 24 of 366

Still frame skipping or low frame rate. Not too noticable unless its acctualy showing a game, with the camera panning back and forth, you can see many dropped/skipped frames. Makes it look like its playing at 20fps. But its more like "micro stutter". Its fully BTs end, they must be encoding it wrong which causes skipped/droped frames.

And no it is not anything to do with peoples PCs or internet conections. This is classic frame skipping which is introducted as the video is encoded at BTs end and then it is pushed out to us looking like this rubbish.

My pc  i5 3570k @ 4.6ghz, AMD 7970 1Ghz ed. As you can see nothing to do with PC.

It makes it look like the camera man has a bad case of parkinsons.

This issue is totaly seperate from any delay in broadcast or anything like that. This isssue is to do with how the acctual video is being processes before it is sent to us. Its as if they are down sampling from 30fps source to 24fps and then pushing it to us, with all its included dropped/missed frames. Making the whole video look like a stuttery mess.

timkanu
Beginner
Message 25 of 366

I have worked out why the video is droping frames.

The video is only 25fps, as tested by my self and software.

Football is ALWAYS filmed at 30fps. So BT are re-encoding the video at 25fps from its original 30 for the webstream. Thus causing hundreds of compeltly skipped/dropped frames per minute and causing a stuttery video playback. The only reason for them doing this is saving a little bit of bandwidth, as of course only having to send 25fps video as opposed to 30 saves a bit of bandwidth.

They seem to think that this is acceptable ? So we get nice 25fps video with hundreds of compeltly skipped frames per miniture. Making for a lovely stuttery Football experiance. Nice one BT!

yongkuk
Contributor
Message 26 of 366

you wouldn't see the difference between 25fps and 30fps, it is the difference between TV and film. when it is skipping frames it is more like 10fps

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 366

Known issues with IE8.  Are you using a different browser?

0 Ratings
timkanu
Beginner
Message 28 of 366

I dont think you understand. The source video is 30fps. it is being re-encoded badly at 25, therefore skipping many hundreds of frames per minute.

If the football was filmed at 25 and then shown to us at 25, it would not have any skipped/dropped frames, and would on the whole look much much smoother. (like film does, which is 25fps.)

Its the fact that the source video is dropping/slipping complete frames this is what you are seeing. This is what the micro stuttering is. Whole frames missed. Very very poor.
Highlighted
yongkuk
Contributor
Message 29 of 366

You should count yourself lucky you are missing frames, I am watching the game at 0fps, it don't work πŸ™‚

timkanu
Beginner
Message 30 of 366

Firefox i use. I have tried them all. The video is playing back at 25fps as tested with software. Its well known football is filmed at 30. So the fact that BT are pushing it out to people at 25 to save a bit of bandwidth, of-course means the video is dropping hundreds of frames per minute, which is why it does not look smooth when panning.
0 Ratings