cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Digijon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 366

Re: BT sport Web Streaming, Frame skipping and jerky video...

I have experienced the completely annoying frame dropouts on the web stream online on 2 high spec. PCs..
Conversely, on iPad and Android smart phone using the BT sport apps, the playback is entirely smooth and very high quality.
All are through the same Infinity router.
So to me, the question is why are BT not able to to give the stream quality to the online?
It would appear to dismiss the 30 to 25 conversion theory?
I'm not sure how apps are differently sent out technically.
Any comments?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 32 of 366

What's running on the PC that's not running on the other devices?
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Digijon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 366

One PC is brand new, Windows 8, 64 bit
Other is on Windows 7, 64 bit
Performance is the same on both .
0 Ratings
Highlighted
yongkuk
Contributor
Message 34 of 366

So you can watch the match smoothly on an ipad, I imagine this is also 25fps. So when I said you wouldn't notice much difference between 25fps and 30fps i was right.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 35 of 366

@Digijon wrote:
One PC is brand new, Windows 8, 64 bit
Other is on Windows 7, 64 bit
Performance is the same on both .

It's clear that you have very high specification pc's.

It's worth doing a simple check. (may be easier in Windows 7).

Whilst running a BTsport live video, monitor the computer performance statistics from Task Manager > performance. - just to see that all is ok.

To do this right click on the bottom of the screen just to the left of the notification area.

New computers can have a lot of manufacturer's software  running in the background , which consumes RAM and processing time.

I have IE10 and some time ago before BT Sport, I had a serious problem in upgrading it from IE9, as this required a screen display driver update. The manufacturer said it was up to date, but Microsoft said it wasn't -- and they were right!

Suggest you check your screen display adaptor driver!

Also what is your Infinity line speed?

0 Ratings
Dave-X
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 366

Just found this thread after Googling the issue, same problems as everybody else.

60mbit BT Infinity line feeding two Quad-core, 8gig of RAM PCs. One built for decoding HD media, one built for 60fps gaming, both running latest drivers, updates and extremely lightweight security software.

Both running Chrome, both dropping frames all over the place.

As somebody who professionally works with HD Digital video, I'm finding the BT Sport streams completely unwatchable.

The really ugly thing with this particular issue is that many people out there probably won't be able to clearly percieve the problem, unless they are shown a "faulty" stream alongside a fully functioning video, and allowed to compare. (Very similar reactions can be seen with less-discerning viewers when the subject of HD or HFR video are brought up...)

The problem is either with the encoding at BT's end, as timkanu has suggested above, or with the way that Silverlight is decoding the video.

If anybody does find a fix on our end, I'd be very interested in hearing about it, but I suspect that this is a technical issue that BT themselves are going to have to deal with.

DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 37 of 366

@Dave-X wrote:

Just found this thread after Googling the issue, same problems as everybody else.

60mbit BT Infinity line feeding two Quad-core, 8gig of RAM PCs. One built for decoding HD media, one built for 60fps gaming, both running latest drivers, updates and extremely lightweight security software.

As somebody who professionally works with HD Digital video, I'm finding the BT Sport streams completely unwatchable.

The really ugly thing with this particular issue is that many people out there probably won't be able to clearly percieve the problem, unless they are shown a "faulty" stream alongside a fully functioning video, and allowed to compare. (Very similar reactions can be seen with less-discerning viewers when the subject of HD or HFR video are brought up...)

The problem is either with the encoding at BT's end, as timkanu has suggested above, or with the way that Silverlight is decoding the video.

If anybody does find a fix on our end, I'd be very interested in hearing about it, but I suspect that this is a technical issue that BT themselves are going to have to deal with.

A lot of people are having the same problem. My HTPC plays 1080p video and 3D SBS videos fine along with iplayer HD and netflix etc.

But frame skips on BT sport.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 38 of 366

@Dave-X wrote:

Don't know much about Chrome.

I just use IE10, with Silverlight.

Dual  core processor, 4 logical processors 2.3 GHz, 6GB RAM. Radeon HD 6490 Graphics.

The graphics isn't quite up to scratch for the latest CAD software, however, which is a bit of a drawback. So I don't know how good it is for video.

ADSL2, speed 12mbps.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 39 of 366

It looks fine to me 😉
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 40 of 366

@Ribblelancs wrote:

@Dave-X wrote:

Don't know much about Chrome.

I just use IE10, with Silverlight.

Dual  core processor, 4 logical processors 2.3 GHz, 6GB RAM. Radeon HD 6490 Graphics.

The graphics isn't quite up to scratch for the latest CAD software, however, which is a bit of a drawback. So I don't know how good it is for video.

ADSL2, speed 12mbps.

Are you serious?

I have a laptop with a crappy celeron 900 processor and 2GB of RAM with integrated intel graphics. It plays HD video fine, incuding online video.

Video is not hugely intensive for a modern processor or GPU. Rendering video might need power but these BT streams should easily work on 5 year old hardware.

0 Ratings