cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

BT sport packages latest news

Can anyone please enlighten me about BT’s football sports  packages for next season and onwards?

I have tried various news sources including BT’s but apart from the premier league’s contract which apparently is continuing without change for the next couple of years  due to the virus, there is nothing that I can find regarding the other packages.

I’m particularly interested  if anything has been published about the Two European competitions and the Bundesliga. Without these 3 packages – having just the premier league is practically worthless to me as Saturday lunchtime is the worst time BT could have picked.

I might have missed any announcement so apologies if I have.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: BT sport packages latest news

@Vetch 

This is also being discussed on another forum site. Some people have observed that Bundesliga has been removed from the BT Sport App, (I no longer have it, so cannot verify), and others have said that there is a precedent for rights contracts to be signed/announced very late in the day - even the day prior to a new season starting.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't have the app either unfortunately. 

It does seem to be leaving it late though, the new season will be starting soon. If this is normal procedure it seems rather disorganised!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

@Vetch 

According to Wikipedia, the Bundesliga 2021-22 season is not due to start until 13th August - is that incorrect?

I don't agree that it is "disorganised" - more good business sense on BT's behalf. It is not our domestic league  - I'm sure that new domestic rights contracts in foreign leagues follow similar timings to the Premier League. If BT are confident that no other UK broadcaster will bid, or out-bid them, them waiting until the last minute should drive the price down. From the Bundesliga's point of view, it could be a last minute choice between a BT "low" bid and no income at all from the UK?

Television sports rights bids are always a bit like a game of poker - who blinks first! 😀

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

I'll take your word for the exact date but considering  that many of the players haven't yet had any respite if they have been involved in the current competition it is a relatively short period. 

I'm fairly sure though in previous years contracts were decided earlier than this. I take your point about how negotiations are conducted. From what I read elsewhere there might well be another bidder. I think it was DAZN.

If that is the case then BT might have to be careful, I'm not the only one who follows European teams and competitions.

BT have already lost the FA cup I believe, as well as  a  ladies football contract.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

The french lique rights were signed up again earlier this month

BT Sport To show Ligue 1 Uber Eats for three more seasons

and the National league  rights were signed up  last December

BT Sport to remain the home of Vanarama National League football until 2024 | BT Sport

not seen any German Bundesliga announcements yet.

Message 7 of 19

There is still Bundesliga goals of  the season programme available on  demand on BT TV Player until 15 July , plus a two part  documentary on Union Berlin available for 2 months , I can't easily find that same programme on BT Sport app but then you tend to get what their  editor selects to highlight and there is a lot more Ligue  1 content available.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

the 2 Bundesliga starts on 23 July and the Bundesliga itself on 13 August so whoever has the rights to the upcoming season would potentially have their first match on 23 July.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

There is nothing in BT schedules up to 30 July - although things do get added late.

Nothing on any other UK channel up to and including 30 July either.

The official Bundesliga website has a list of channels which will show them for the coming season. United Kingdom is not even an option to select - broadcasters 

@zulu17wrote:

the 2 Bundesliga starts on 23 July and the Bundesliga itself on 13 August so whoever has the rights to the upcoming season would potentially have their first match on 23 July.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

Thanks for those links, I did read that BT had retained the Ligue1  package week or so back although it was just someone’s post without any proof at the time.

Interesting that BT mentions the UEFA Champions and Europa League’s packages will still be with them.

All I want now are the Bundesliga rights!

0 Ratings