cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: BT sport video quality using BT Sport Apple TV app

I just wanted to clarify one point about the quality levels:

Replays now use a copy of the original live stream, so are available in up to 1080p50 (depending on the channel they were originally broadcast on).  Highlights and clips are now 1080p25.

We are (usually) at the mercy of the video provider when events aren't in the UK, but we still encode at our standard quality levels regardless of the source.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 16

Thanks for the information, Darren

We are (usually) at the mercy of the video provider when events aren't in the UK

I believe this encapsulates precisely what I’ve been saying. 
It’s unfortunate, because there is an absolutely massive difference in quality compared to UK events.

Good to see that some things are improving though.

Thanks

Liz

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 16

Currently watching the boxing on BT SPORT 1 on the Apple TV 4K box:

The quality is up and down like a yoyo. I'm the only one on the network and have been since around 4pm, and have not long finished watching the other boxing event on Sky Sports via Now TV, without a single fluctuation in quality since 7pm (And before that, watching day-2 of the Test Match also on Sky Sports via Now TV) without issue.

The Apple TV app really has issues, and what was once a reliable app on a very good box, its now a lottery of what you're going to get: watchable for duration or a constant collapse of quality before it recovers; it's an omnishambles. (Using a wired connection hasn't done anything to help maintain quality)

(Its also doing still, its usual jumping back by 15secs when the inserted ads end and rejoins the stream, meaning i have to exit the channel and rejoin it as there's no other way to fix it)

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 16

I've got the same issue, picture quality used to be good on my 55inch LG OLED TV via the nvidia shield android tv app, but it's poor now.

Watched Liverpool game last night and Man City game tonight and bitrate is  unacceptable, the crowd panning shots are all a bunch of blurry faces, as are the players and grass from normal wide shots when viewing the game. I think BT have implemented some change to reduce  bandwidth, either lowering bitrate or adding some compression. Now TV on sky sports is much better quality, used to be the other way around.

I phoned up BT to complain about it today, I'm also on full fibre 500. They aren't aware of any issues their end, they just said call back if it continues. There is a device checker on android tv app and it has a tick on everything including 4k HDR, but I don't subscribe to ultra HD, too expensive for me.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 16

I have noticed over the last week that the ultimate channel no longer appears when I watch a game so I’m no longer able to watch in 4K HDR.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 16

@saltyzip the quality hasn't changed for at least a couple of years - no changes to bitrates, compression, codecs, etc. I've also confirmed that you're getting the best possible quality level, and your device isn't reporting any dropped frames.

@James23343 use the device checker found in settings (cog, top right corner) to confirm that you're still capable of viewing Ultimate. If you're not, it'll tell you why.
0 Ratings